5,601,223 Members 57,348 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MultiTasking broken after day of use (or memory leak?)

Tip us?

holydire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] MultiTasking broken after day of use (or memory leak?)

Hello everybody.
first of all i just want to mention that im really happy with the phone, especially after moving from galaxy s3 with its horrendous memory tasker and RAM.
ive noticed a problem thats been really bothering me:
after a day of use , maybe more, there seems to be a lot less memory available for the device, resulting in chrome/chrome beta reloading every time that i go back to it, even without performing any actions or loading new apps - simply moving to whatsapp for example and back to chrome - Bang! the browser reloads. I want to emphasize that this is not the normal behavior for chrome, as this does not occur after a fresh restart.
When i go to services running, there is about 800mb of ram left, but when i go to ES task manager, there is only 400mb, i dunno the cause for this difference, but i do know that despite disliking task managers very much , Pressing "Kill ALL" will restore the desired behavior for a while (no reloads).

I tried to root the phone and install Greenify , but this doesnt seem to be helping.

did anyone notice any similar behavior? thanks.

klin1344
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5515

DONATE TO ME
In my experience, chrome and chrome beta are huge memory hogs and refresh quite often no matter what. For that reason, I stay away from it and stick with the aosp browser. It's fast and light.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 - Android 4.4.2 KitKat

| [APP][FREE][4.0+]Cardify Flashcards |
Intuitive and simple user interface, yet powerful and feature-packed.

holydire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
i understand what you're saying - but im referring to the data displayed by es task manager (having a lot less memory than reported) and also to the fact that after a reboot , or closing all task, the phone does have enough memory to come back to chrome without reloading it .
notice im not complaining about the memory used by chrome, also having more than 500MB of RAM left should be enough anyway no?

also - as far as i know AOSP browser is no longer supported, no?

daisun
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I've also experienced this on my N5. Sometimes when switching away from chrome and then back again, even briefly, will cause the web page to refresh. This is extremely annoying especially when you're on a internet banking page which will require you to re-login.

holydire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisun View Post
I've also experienced this on my N5. Sometimes when switching away from chrome and then back again, even briefly, will cause the web page to refresh. This is extremely annoying especially when you're on a internet banking page which will require you to re-login.
this is exactly what im experiencing.
however, since it doesnt happen after restart or killing all apps, it is somehow memory related, but with having 800mb free, i dont really understand the issue :/

daisun
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Surely the Android devs at google use internet banking, hopefully a fix arrives soon...!

xstokerx
Old
Thanks Meter 111
I nerfed chrome as its so messed I cant even use it also drains batter like no tommarow it was always reloading for me to I went to opera it has working word wrap and way less draw on batter.
If i helped you know what to do

Stuck or broken power button try these apps
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2191120

Current devices:
- LG Nexus 5 <---My new love
- HTC One XL on the back burner
- Samsung galaxy S2 rogers skyrocket
- Samsung galaxy S2 19100
- LG Thrill 4g/Optimus 3D

Noobs start hear--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

frigidazzi
Old
Thanks Meter 74
This has anyways happened to me. Since gal nexus, n4, n5, and n7. /shrug. Maybe it's a nexus thing? I thought this happened on all devices with chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

daisun
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I've had S4 and N4 and it certainly doesn't happen, at least not from switching away from chrome and back again within a few seconds. But those devices were on Android 4.3.

holydire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frigidazzi View Post
This has anyways happened to me. Since gal nexus, n4, n5, and n7. /shrug. Maybe it's a nexus thing? I thought this happened on all devices with chrome.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

It happens on galaxy s3 but that device has 1gb of memory with only 100mb or less available usually . nexus 5 even at its worst state has more than 500MB, so it def. shouldnt happen.