5,597,707 Members 34,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] N5 loudspeaker whats normal?

Tip us?

LBTaylor1984
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Question [Q] N5 loudspeaker whats normal?

Hey gang,

I know that this is one of the reported issues of this phone, but bear with my question.

Now I've manually using Root Explorer upped the volume of the headphones and the speaker, both are in effect and the headphones are effectively overly loud (excellent) however the loudspeaker is louder, but ringtones and sms play with distortion on certain items, which obviously because i increased the volume, it does mean quiet sources like youtube are easier to hear, and generally only the bass suffers, but my real question here is, what is a quiet loudspeaker and what is a normal loudspeaker on this phone?

Some people have suggested calling Google for a RMA, but I'm thinking other than this issue, the phone is perfect, I don't want Google giving me a phone worse off then my current one, yet because of the internetz I dunno whether i'm expecting too much out of the loudspeaker or if it genuinely has an issue.

Can anyone suggest what i should expect out of the handset? I mean before increasing the volume it was crystal clear, but a little on the quiet side, now it's louder but can be distorted depending on the audio thoughts? can someone describe a bad loudspeaker to me?

Thanks to those who reply..

Luke.

Valdeck
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Expect distortion when the sound is loud enough to hear in a room with an average amount of ambient noise.

What you have sounds normal to me. You won't get enough volume to easily hear it above other noise with out distortion the physical speak is just to small.

Also be careful there is a fix coming from Google soon make sure you revert your changes before you install it in case Google has done some speaker tweaking of thier own.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LBTaylor1984
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Well thats good enough for me. I'm ok with the quality of the speaker, but not impressed.
I did a little test with my Lumia 1020, and the volume of the N5 @ 70% is equal to 1020 @ 22/30

The difference is the Lumia can go to 30/30 with no distortion.
So it's as loud as the Lumia up to a point.

Good tip, i'll adjust it, when the update hits. Thanks man.

LBTaylor1984
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Well thats good enough for me. I'm ok with the quality of the speaker, but not impressed.
I did a little test with my Lumia 1020, and the volume of the N5 @ 70% is equal to 1020 @ 22/30

The difference is the Lumia can go to 30/30 with no distortion.
So it's as loud as the Lumia up to a point.

Good tip, i'll adjust it, when the update hits. Thanks man.