Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 53,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Network Signal In and Out with Reboots

Tip us?

nebrando
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Network Signal In and Out with Reboots

I searched and did not see anyone else experiencing this issue. I have a Black 32 GB stock rooted. It worked fantastic for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden I noticed the following:

Day 1: No SMS received. I was on WIFI and had network signal in the notification bar but did not receive SMS that were sent to me.
Day 2: No Cellular Signal. I looked at the APN and it had disappeared. I attempted to add it again and reboot the phone and it wouldn't add. The phone began rebooting on its own and continuing with a bootloop after running for about 10 seconds it would reboot again. It did this throughout the day. I called Google and they had me do some soft and hard resets. After the soft reset the phone would connect right after startup then disconnect after 2 seconds and reboot itself. I hard reset the phone and relocked the bootloader and reinstalled factory recovery and it is still doing it.

Google has given me authorization for an exchange but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas because I'd rather not be without a phone for 2 weeks.

BTW I am on Straight Talk
Phone: Nexus 5

Tablets: Asus Nexus 7 - Stock; Asus Pad 300 - Stock JB(Unlocked & Rooted)

You haven't signed up for Dropbox yet? Follow this link and we will both get free space!
http://db.tt/gxeGGMQ

flmz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default I had a similar issue

I had a similar issue. After a month of functioning normally, my Nexus(rooted using CFroot, stock ROM, T-Mobile) lost the ability to get reception. First, it showed network signal, but cell access was not functional. A few hours later, bars dropped to zero, and it seemed like I could only get reception in the strongest signal areas. I would get signal sporadically when driving, but never when I was stationary. The phone never had problems with rebooting though.

After spending a day trying to fix it, factory reset, relock, flashing a factory image, I called Google, and they warranteed the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrando View Post
I searched and did not see anyone else experiencing this issue. I have a Black 32 GB stock rooted. It worked fantastic for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden I noticed the following:

Day 1: No SMS received. I was on WIFI and had network signal in the notification bar but did not receive SMS that were sent to me.
Day 2: No Cellular Signal. I looked at the APN and it had disappeared. I attempted to add it again and reboot the phone and it wouldn't add. The phone began rebooting on its own and continuing with a bootloop after running for about 10 seconds it would reboot again. It did this throughout the day. I called Google and they had me do some soft and hard resets. After the soft reset the phone would connect right after startup then disconnect after 2 seconds and reboot itself. I hard reset the phone and relocked the bootloader and reinstalled factory recovery and it is still doing it.

Google has given me authorization for an exchange but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas because I'd rather not be without a phone for 2 weeks.

BTW I am on Straight Talk

nebrando
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmz View Post
I had a similar issue. After a month of functioning normally, my Nexus(rooted using CFroot, stock ROM, T-Mobile) lost the ability to get reception. First, it showed network signal, but cell access was not functional. A few hours later, bars dropped to zero, and it seemed like I could only get reception in the strongest signal areas. I would get signal sporadically when driving, but never when I was stationary. The phone never had problems with rebooting though.

After spending a day trying to fix it, factory reset, relock, flashing a factory image, I called Google, and they warranteed the phone.
It just seems so much like a software issue as opposed to hardware that it surprises me they are willing to warranty it... but I guess I'm not the expert.

How long did it take you to get your replacement phone?

You haven't signed up for Dropbox yet? Follow this link and we will both get free space!

flmz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrando View Post
It just seems so much like a software issue as opposed to hardware that it surprises me they are willing to warranty it... but I guess I'm not the expert.

How long did it take you to get your replacement phone?
I got a replacement phone pretty quickly. The phone shipped the day after I ordered the replacement, but YMMV.

Why do you think it was a software issue? The problem persisted after I switch back to a factory image. The replacement phone, running the same software does not have the same issue.

nebrando
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmz View Post
I got a replacement phone pretty quickly. The phone shipped the day after I ordered the replacement, but YMMV.

Why do you think it was a software issue? The problem persisted after I switch back to a factory image. The replacement phone, running the same software does not have the same issue.
That makes sense that it was a hardware issue. I guess it could be a faulty radio or something. I'm glad to hear you got your device shipped so soon. Did you end up having to pay shipping?

khymbote
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I ran a nexus 5 for about 4 days and went through two of them both having issues holding a signal. Both phones would start with LTE and then drop to 2g go to 3g and then 4g back to no bars and then 2g and 3g. I was stock all the way and I wish the nexus 5 worked better. It could be a software issue as when I took the OTA to 4.4.2 it became worse. All the areas I was in while this happened were areas that were supposed to be strong for 4g and LTE.

That said I I need a phone that is a bit more reliable even though I'm on T-Mobile. I switched to the LG G2. It has a better antennae and doesn't keep bouncing between modes when in various areas.
LG G2 - T-Mobile
Kernel: Stock
Modem: M8974A
Recovery: TWRP
Launcher: Nova

Retired
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC Incredible
Motorola Droid