FORUMS

XeroAsh Theme for CM12

This theme by XDA Senior Member balrajs99 features a black and slate gray UI that gives your phone a … more

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Broken/jammed power button, under warranty, rooted... what do?

30th June 2014, 07:00 PM |#1  
StopHammertime's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Just unlocked and rooted my N5 last week, and sure enough, just my luck, my power button jammed into the pushed in position. It's completely screwed. Took it apart, and the button itself broke loose, while still being jammed in the on position, so the phone just loops.

Any suggestions for getting the phone back to stock while this is happening? I'm curious if Google is going to try and deny my warranty claim because of the unlock/root.
 
 
30th June 2014, 07:20 PM |#2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 17,671
 
More
Google won't deny warranty for root. They will deny it for opening it up though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 07:29 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,093
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Google won't deny warranty for root. They will deny it for opening it up though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

you opened the phone, so you would have to pay the repair costs.

why does everyone think they can get warranty replacements when they screw it up even more by opening the device?
30th June 2014, 07:38 PM |#4  
StopHammertime's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Google won't deny warranty for root. They will deny it for opening it up though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How will they be able to tell? That's rather silly, seeing is it's just a snappable cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius

you opened the phone, so you would have to pay the repair costs.

why does everyone think they can get warranty replacements when they screw it up even more by opening the device?

Screw it up even more... yeah, alright. You clearly know so much about my technical abilities.

According to the warranty terms:

"Itís best to replace the battery when it no longer provides acceptable performance. It can be recharged hundreds of times before it needs replacing."

This would of course require you to remove the battery cover. Therefore, I can't see any possible way removing the battery cover would void my warranty.
Last edited by StopHammertime; 30th June 2014 at 07:40 PM.
30th June 2014, 07:45 PM |#5  
StopHammertime's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Furthermore, this is also in the warranty terms:

"Ownerís Record
The model number, regulatory number, and serial number are located on a nameplate inside the battery compartment. Record the serial number in the space provided below. This will be helpful if you need to contact us about your phone in the future.
Model:
Serial No.:"

There's no possible way taking the battery cover off voids my warranty. Sorry, but you're wrong.
30th June 2014, 07:47 PM |#6  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,462
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopHammertime

How will they be able to tell? That's rather silly, seeing is it's just a snappable cover.

Once you remove the back cover all you got to do is remove a few screws to access the motherboard. I bet you will say Google shouldn't deny you warranty for removing a few screws? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopHammertime

According to the warranty terms:

"Itís best to replace the battery when it no longer provides acceptable performance. It can be recharged hundreds of times before it needs replacing."

This would of course require you to remove the battery cover. Therefore, I can't see any possible way removing the battery cover would void my warranty.

Yes. It holds true as long as it's done by a LG personnel or a Google technician. How can you possibly think that doing this by yourself wouldn't void the warranty?
30th June 2014, 07:49 PM |#7  
StopHammertime's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Once you remove the back cover all you got to do is remove a few screws to access the motherboard. I bet you will say Google shouldn't deny you warranty for removing a few screws? LOL



Yes. It holds true as long as it's done by a LG personnel or a Google technician. How can you possibly think that doing this by yourself wouldn't void the warranty?

Yeah, sorry, but you're wrong. Multiple times in the warranty information, it indicates you are not voiding the warranty by removing the battery cover. In fact, I'm going to contact Google directly and ask them about this. I'll be sure to cap the conversation and post here shortly.
30th June 2014, 07:53 PM |#8  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,462
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopHammertime

Yeah, sorry, but you're wrong. Multiple times in the warranty information, it indicates you are not voiding the warranty by removing the battery cover. In fact, I'm going to contact Google directly and ask them about this. I'll be sure to cap the conversation and post here shortly.

May be the rules regarding warranty differ in your country. The warranty card which came along with my device doesn't mention any of the stuff you quoted in your previous posts.

Care to share the source please??
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes