XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5- 4.4.1 HELP NEEDED

Tip us?

vishpoison
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Try running this command : adb devices
It lists your connected device and beside the device id it tells the connected mode.
If trying sideload, it should say :
Device id sideload
Can you take a screenshot of the commands you are running and post it here?

red83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by richport29 View Post
When you type adb devices, what comes up?
It says daemon started, states the port and gives the imei number for the phone and adjacent to the imei (quite a big gap) states sideload

red83
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Have come to the conclusion this must be a problem with the driver??.....when i connect the phone (in normal mode) it comes up in the device manager as a Nexus 5 however with some of the other drivers it appears as a Google Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4!
If the phone is in recovery mode it does not recognize the ADB driver when using some of the about drivers so you are unable to communicate with it via command prompt and it doesn't show up when you give the command prompt "ADB devices", none are shown so clearly the driver isn't working, now i have managed to work around this by trying several drivers but none of which can complete the task of sideloading the update zip file.
I have tried installing the latest Google generic driver, clockwork 7.0 and 4.0, the LG driver and default naked driver.The device is only recognized with some of these drivers which then allows you to communicate via command prompt however none can complete the update task successfully in command prompt and can be communicated with in ADB mode however sideload cannot read the downloaded zip file
Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to download/install the correct driver for a Google Nexus 5??
I'm curious to know those who have managed to update to 4.4.1, via this method, was their device purchased with the 4.4 firmware or 4.3? (Sorry I'm not sure how long the Nexus 5 has been available or which firmware it would have had installed upon its release)

akmsr
Old
Thanks Meter 17
hi i am sorry to see that you are frustrated with this problem. i had a similar problem but half of what you have.
first question...in one of your previous post you said you renamed and added zip to directory filename. what does it mean? the file already has .zip as an extension. all you do is right-click on it and rename to update.zip also obviously you do not unzip it.
second question....from the folder platform-tools (that has adb.exe, fastboot.exe and update.zip) after you launch a windows CMD window and type
Code:
adb reboot recovery
and phone reboots into recovery do you get a windows chime saying new hardware found? if you do its a driver problem and i had exactly that. it is solvable. if you don't and update still fails then its the zip file problem.
all this i am guessing you are stock, with stock recovery.

akmsr
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmsr View Post
hi i am sorry to see that you are frustrated with this problem. i had a similar problem but half of what you have.
first question...in one of your previous post you said you renamed and added zip to directory filename. what does it mean? the file already has .zip as an extension. all you do is right-click on it and rename to update.zip also obviously you do not unzip it.
second question....from the folder platform-tools (that has adb.exe, fastboot.exe and update.zip) after you launch a windows CMD window and type
Code:
adb reboot recovery
and phone reboots into recovery do you get a windows chime saying new hardware found? if you do its a driver problem and i had exactly that. it is solvable. if you don't and update still fails then its the zip file problem.
all this i am guessing you are stock, with stock recovery.
i just updated to 4.4.2 without any issue. it was easier this time. no driver issue.