Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 41,530 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Switching from Sprint to Tmobile

Tip us?
 
Circaflex
Old
#1  
Circaflex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 502
Posts: 1,101
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tustin
Default [Q] Switching from Sprint to Tmobile

Hello XDA,


I am currently on the last month of my contract with Sprint, it ends 7/31/2014. I am currently on a family plan with 2 other lines, 3 total and at the end of July want to take my number from Sprint and move to Tmobile. I have never switched providers before and I am not sure what to expect.


Do I need to wait until 7/31 to actually switch without paying ETFs?
Can I activate my Sprint Nexus 5 on TMobile? It was purchased at Best Buy and was Sprint labeled, but it should be fine for Tmobile with their Sim correct?
Would I need to do anything with Sprint or if I waited until 7/31 can I just visit a Tmobile store and they take care of porting my number and essentially telling Sprint to kick rocks?
Lets work together to make hammerhead the one device for all carriers

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire
 
jwhyte
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 347
Posts: 958
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
Hello XDA,


I am currently on the last month of my contract with Sprint, it ends 7/31/2014. I am currently on a family plan with 2 other lines, 3 total and at the end of July want to take my number from Sprint and move to Tmobile. I have never switched providers before and I am not sure what to expect.


Do I need to wait until 7/31 to actually switch without paying ETFs?
Can I activate my Sprint Nexus 5 on TMobile? It was purchased at Best Buy and was Sprint labeled, but it should be fine for Tmobile with their Sim correct?
Would I need to do anything with Sprint or if I waited until 7/31 can I just visit a Tmobile store and they take care of porting my number and essentially telling Sprint to kick rocks?
There was some discussion early on that the sprint nexus 5s were different but I believe that was wrong I can look more into it. If you are going to T-Mobile postpaid then the easiest option would be to go in store. When you port your number they say it can take up to 24 hours to be finalized but in my case was about six hours. Keep your sprint account active until the port is complete or you will lose your number. Once the port is complete sprint may cancel your service or give you a new number so call to make sure it's cancelled.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jwhyte For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pwrmedia
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 116
Posts: 721
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
Hello XDA,


I am currently on the last month of my contract with Sprint, it ends 7/31/2014. I am currently on a family plan with 2 other lines, 3 total and at the end of July want to take my number from Sprint and move to Tmobile. I have never switched providers before and I am not sure what to expect.


Do I need to wait until 7/31 to actually switch without paying ETFs?
Can I activate my Sprint Nexus 5 on TMobile? It was purchased at Best Buy and was Sprint labeled, but it should be fine for Tmobile with their Sim correct?
Would I need to do anything with Sprint or if I waited until 7/31 can I just visit a Tmobile store and they take care of porting my number and essentially telling Sprint to kick rocks?

1) You do not have to wait to switch.

2) Probably should look at trading in your Sprint N5 to avoid any CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mo) issues down the road.

3) You don't need to do anything w/ Sprint. Simply head into T-Mo and let them port and handle from there.
Currently running:

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: 4.4.2 Rooted Stock
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Freq: Stock
LCD Density: 300




Retired: HTC One, S3 Dev Ed., Galaxy Nexus, iPhone4s 32G, EVO LTE, 3vo, MoPho, Evo Shift, OG Evo, Hero, Diamond
The Following User Says Thank You to pwrmedia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jwhyte
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 347
Posts: 958
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee
2. Shouldn't be any issue if T-Mobile activates it. Sprint has to activate the CDMA radio differently.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jwhyte For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
simms22
Old
#5  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20641
Posts: 24,863
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
tmobile doesn't have to activate it. just put in tmibiles sim card, boot up. if no signal right away, put in tmobiles apn manually. thats it. most likely youll have a signal right away though.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Circaflex
Old
(Last edited by Circaflex; 20th June 2014 at 01:03 AM.)
#6  
Circaflex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 502
Posts: 1,101
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmedia View Post
1) You do not have to wait to switch.

2) Probably should look at trading in your Sprint N5 to avoid any CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (T-Mo) issues down the road.

3) You don't need to do anything w/ Sprint. Simply head into T-Mo and let them port and handle from there.
So say I do this next week, i would assume I would pay an ETF with sprint if i dont wait right?

I was under the impression the n5 was the same (has all bands) and it shouldnt have a conflict, especially if i factory reset


Basically my main concern is if i need to wait until the 31st to do this will i lose my number? or do i do this with tmobile a few days before the 31st?



Thank you all for the replies
Lets work together to make hammerhead the one device for all carriers

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire
 
pwrmedia
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 116
Posts: 721
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
So say I do this next week, i would assume I would pay an ETF with sprint if i dont wait right?

I was under the impression the n5 was the same (has all bands) and it shouldnt have a conflict, especially if i factory reset




Thank you all for the replies

If you do this next week, and your contract isn't up until the end of next month, then they'll cover your ETF (either through reimbursement/credit your t-mo account, not sure how they're handling that these days).

As the other posters mentioned, you SHOULDN'T have any issues if T-Mo activates the phone, but you may want to Google success/fail stories when it comes to taking CDMA-carrier branded phones and activating them on GSM networks.
Currently running:

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: 4.4.2 Rooted Stock
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Freq: Stock
LCD Density: 300




Retired: HTC One, S3 Dev Ed., Galaxy Nexus, iPhone4s 32G, EVO LTE, 3vo, MoPho, Evo Shift, OG Evo, Hero, Diamond
The Following User Says Thank You to pwrmedia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Circaflex
Old
#8  
Circaflex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 502
Posts: 1,101
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmedia View Post
If you do this next week, and your contract isn't up until the end of next month, then they'll cover your ETF (either through reimbursement/credit your t-mo account, not sure how they're handling that these days).

As the other posters mentioned, you SHOULDN'T have any issues if T-Mo activates the phone, but you may want to Google success/fail stories when it comes to taking CDMA-carrier branded phones and activating them on GSM networks.

Yea i read about the etf reimbursement but i believe you have to trade in your current device, which i dont really want to do. My phone isnt branded any different though from what i understand compared to google play store bought n5's
Lets work together to make hammerhead the one device for all carriers

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire
 
BirchBarlow
Old
#9  
BirchBarlow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 121
Posts: 333
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmedia View Post
If you do this next week, and your contract isn't up until the end of next month, then they'll cover your ETF (either through reimbursement/credit your t-mo account, not sure how they're handling that these days).
This is incorrect. BYOP customers are inelligible for T-Mobile's ETF promotion, it is only for people who buy new phones from T-Mobile and have an old phone to trade in. If he ports his number from Sprint to T-Mobile as much as one second before his contract expires, he'll most definitely be charged an ETF.
 
Circaflex
Old
#10  
Circaflex's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 502
Posts: 1,101
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
This is incorrect. BYOP customers are inelligible for T-Mobile's ETF promotion, it is only for people who buy new phones from T-Mobile and have an old phone to trade in. If he ports his number from Sprint to T-Mobile as much as one second before his contract expires, he'll most definitely be charged an ETF.
So what exactly happens on 8/1 do i no longer have sprint or does it go month to month. How do i keep my number? sorry for the noob questions, been with sprint and only sprint. August 1st do I just walk into tmobile and do it from there? I have no problem waiting, its only a few weeks away otherwise i could pull the quick switch a roo and activate my galaxy s 3 and do the BYOP but its too much hassle and i can just wait but i just dont want to lose my number
Lets work together to make hammerhead the one device for all carriers

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes