Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 39,902 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 access denied to SD Card?

Tip us?

TheArc
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,772
Alright guys, I have yet to figure out what actually happened. All I remember is downloading Liquid Smooth, backing up my Android L Rom. Then wiping data and installing Liquid Smooth, my WiFi didn't work so I went back to Recovery mode, did a wipe and restored my Android L backup.

Now when I unlock the phone after the initial boot. A couple of my applications began crashing. So I ignored it and decided to go to my File Explorer.

When I opened it, the SD Card showed up as empty. No content whatsoever, however on the Storage section in Settings. It says I have quite a bit of things. So I went ahead and installed another File Browser, when I selected Main Storage. It said in big bold letters "Access Denied to Main storage".

At this point I have no clue what had just happened. I went to Recovery, wiped data and restored my backup. Same outcome.

Then I went into mounts and mounted system and still the same thing happened. Could someone explain what just happened and how can I fix this?

I really appreciate the time you've spent to read this, looking for answers. I hope someone replies quickly, I'm quite paranoid at this very moment.

Thanks!
iOS7 Kik Messenger | Svelte UI CM11 Theme | Active Launcher

Lethargy
Old
(Last edited by Lethargy; 5th August 2014 at 12:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArc View Post
Alright guys, I have yet to figure out what actually happened. All I remember is downloading Liquid Smooth, backing up my Android L Rom. Then wiping data and installing Liquid Smooth, my WiFi didn't work so I went back to Recovery mode, did a wipe and restored my Android L backup.

Now when I unlock the phone after the initial boot. A couple of my applications began crashing. So I ignored it and decided to go to my File Explorer.

When I opened it, the SD Card showed up as empty. No content whatsoever, however on the Storage section in Settings. It says I have quite a bit of things. So I went ahead and installed another File Browser, when I selected Main Storage. It said in big bold letters "Access Denied to Main storage".

At this point I have no clue what had just happened. I went to Recovery, wiped data and restored my backup. Same outcome.

Then I went into mounts and mounted system and still the same thing happened. Could someone explain what just happened and how can I fix this?

I really appreciate the time you've spent to read this, looking for answers. I hope someone replies quickly, I'm quite paranoid at this very moment.

Thanks!
KK and L are different, messes around with userdata. KK uses /storage/emulated/0 and L uses data/media/0. Some people have also lost their internal storage completely. SELinux is also different.

Try opening Terminal Emulator:

su
restorecon -r /data/media/0/*

If that doesn't work then you'll have to backup and flash + wipe userdata.img
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheArc
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
KK and L are different, messes around with userdata. KK uses /storage/emulated/0 and L uses data/media/0. Some people have also lost their internal storage completely. SELinux is also different.

Try opening Terminal Emulator:

su
restorecon -r /data/media/0/*

If that doesn't work then you'll have to backup and flash + wipe userdata.img

Got that, rebooted. Same outcome.
So what do you think if I completely wipe my device and install another KitKat Rom, it should be fine?

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,646
Quote:

Got that, rebooted. Same outcome.
So what do you think if I completely wipe my device and install another KitKat Rom, it should be fine?
Try
restorecon -FR /data/media/0

Not sure if wiping in recovery will work, but reflashing userdata.img with a wipe (-w) will work for sure, though.
Quote:
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheArc
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,772
Quote:
Try
restorecon -FR /data/media/0

Not sure if wiping in recovery will work, but reflashing userdata.img with a wipe (-w) will work for sure, though.
Wow thank you brother! That worked like a charm.

You're the best !

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,646
Quote:
Wow thank you brother! That worked like a charm.

You're the best !
Cool.
Quote:

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,446
Quote:
KK and L are different, messes around with userdata. KK uses /storage/emulated/0 and L uses data/media/0
/sdcard was always /data/media on fuse storage devices until 4.2 when it moved to /data/media/0. We've been using /data/media/0 since jellybean in Android. /storage/emulated/0 points to the same location and always has since 4.2

Whatever has changed in L, this is not it - although I have no explanation for the problem.

Actually there are multiple locations that point to /data/media/0 since jellybean. I list them all in my nexus 5 storage thread which you can get to via the link in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
/sdcard was always /data/media on fuse storage devices until 4.2 when it moved to /data/media/0. We've been using /data/media/0 since jellybean in Android. /storage/emulated/0 points to the same location and always has since 4.2

Whatever has changed in L, this is not it - although I have no explanation for the problem.

Actually there are multiple locations that point to /data/media/0 since jellybean. I list them all in my nexus 5 storage thread which you can get to via the link in my signature

Someone else said that was it which confused me, I basically searched it and copy + pasted xD

But yeah, I'm not exactly sure what causes internal storage to mess up regarding L. Compare the contents of userdata.img maybe? The issue seems to be weird though, some people can "recover" it with Terminal, some people simply have the contents of internal storage moved into another folder and some people just lost it completely. 9/10 times it's because of a flashable zip and not doing it the proper way with fastboot, but @simms22 had his internal storage moved after a proper flash, but had no issues dirty.
Quote:

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,446
Quote:
Someone else said that was it which confused me, I basically searched it and copy + pasted xD

But yeah, I'm not exactly sure what causes internal storage to mess up regarding L. Compare the contents of userdata.img maybe? The issue seems to be weird though, some people can "recover" it with Terminal, some people simply have the contents of internal storage moved into another folder and some people just lost it completely. 9/10 times it's because of a flashable zip and not doing it the proper way with fastboot, but @simms22 had his internal storage moved after a proper flash, but had no issues dirty.
Yeah I remember on the s3, people going from 4.1.2 to 4.2 with flashable zips, and they would end up with /data/media/0/0. Some did it several times and ended up with /data/media/0/0/0/0 etc.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Yeah I remember on the s3, people going from 4.1.2 to 4.2 with flashable zips, and they would end up with /data/media/0/0. Some did it several times and ended up with /data/media/0/0/0/0 etc.

Watch it end up being even worse when release version of "L" comes out and suddenly 90% of XDA "lost their internal storage" using flashable zips lol
Quote:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]