XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 audio quality through headphone jack is abysmal

Tip us?

ComradeNF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
Default Nexus 5 audio quality through headphone jack is abysmal

Is it just me or is the audio quality abysmal out of the Nexus 5's 3.5mm headphone jack? With my ATH-m50x it sounds like someone is making popcorn in the background of every song I play. The crackling is so intense that it ruins a lot of my tracks. One of the best examples I can find is Lamb of God - Black Label. If anyone can try this song out on Google Music or Spotify on their phone and let me know if it sounds abysmal as well I would highly appreciate it.

All of my music is on Spotify, and I use their "Extreme quality" download option which is 320kbps. Man, it sounds HORRIBLE!

I'm going to try a headphone amp this weekend because this is ridiculous. I tried out the same song my my Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 yesterday and it sounded crystal clear!
Phones: Sony Ericsson T230 > Motorola RAZR > Sony Ericsson W300 > Sony Ericsson C902 > Sony Ericsson Aino > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 > Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747 + Google Nexus 5

Tablets: Acer Iconia Tab A500 > Google Nexus 7 > Apple iPad 2 > Google Nexus 7 2013

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,486
I use viper4android highest audio driver, Spotify extreme and ath-m50x and I LOVE my sound quality. The DAC is pretty poor though so viper is a must.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

ComradeNF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I use viper4android highest audio driver, Spotify extreme and ath-m50x and I LOVE my sound quality. The DAC is pretty poor though so viper is a must.

Thanks RootSU, I just installed Viper4Android and the sound quality is definitely better and the crackling/popping is a little less but is still present. Do you think this is a hardware issue? Like I said, my i9100 sounds perfectly fine with stock drivers and so does my dad's i9300! Idk why I have this popping!
Phones: Sony Ericsson T230 > Motorola RAZR > Sony Ericsson W300 > Sony Ericsson C902 > Sony Ericsson Aino > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 > Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747 + Google Nexus 5

Tablets: Acer Iconia Tab A500 > Google Nexus 7 > Apple iPad 2 > Google Nexus 7 2013

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,486
I haven't got any crackling or popping. I get a bit of hiss but that's to be expected with my set up.

It could be hardware or even software. Its hard to say.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,654
My Nexus 5 sounds better than my PC.

My PC has a SoundBlaster Recon3D PCIe lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.