Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 54,128 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 will not automatically connect to cell network

Tip us?

jkenny23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Nexus 5 will not automatically connect to cell network

Hi All,

I've been having an issue after upgrading from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 where the phone will not re-connect to the home network (or will only reconnect to GSM with no data) after losing connection. This happens for example when going into an elevator or parking garage; I'll lose signal and when I get back into a signal area it won't reconnect unless I go to the "Mobile networks" -> "Network operators" menu and select "HOME" or "Automatic Registration". I'm using Straight Talk wireless with an older T-Mobile SIM (before they switched to only AT&T). I've called Straight Talk a few times to try and debug this, but the only instruction they've given me is to reset the APN and set it up again, which I've done a couple times to no avail. They claim that the SIM card is good on their end. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Itsukki
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenny23 View Post
Hi All,

I've been having an issue after upgrading from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 where the phone will not re-connect to the home network (or will only reconnect to GSM with no data) after losing connection. This happens for example when going into an elevator or parking garage; I'll lose signal and when I get back into a signal area it won't reconnect unless I go to the "Mobile networks" -> "Network operators" menu and select "HOME" or "Automatic Registration". I'm using Straight Talk wireless with an older T-Mobile SIM (before they switched to only AT&T). I've called Straight Talk a few times to try and debug this, but the only instruction they've given me is to reset the APN and set it up again, which I've done a couple times to no avail. They claim that the SIM card is good on their end. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!
It sounds like the Baseband/RIL problems I had with my old LG OP2X with non-stock roms. For me, it was fixed switching to aeroplane mode and back, it could also get stuck there, I remember it once took me half a day to get it out for I didn't want it to wipe it.

Any way, may be it's not the same but it could be fixed flashing a baseband, I think I saw a thread about it somewhere around... Also, flashing the full firmware should —if it's not a hardware issue— solve the problem without doing much research.
Tags
network, operator, registration, straight talk