Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 49,171 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Nexus 5 camera lens

Tip us?

AntMcl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q]Nexus 5 camera lens

Hi all,

Just wanted to get people's opinion on the lens, specifically the large lens cover. I have a scratch across mine, which in one part is rather deep. Not crack levels of deepness, but deeper than a hairline. I currently have a dbrand skin covering the lens - is this likely to develop into a crack, or should I not worry about it?

I've read somewhere that the camera lens is sapphire crystal and virtually unscratchable - I'm calling BS on that.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers App

PhoenixFx
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMcl View Post
Just wanted to get people's opinion on the lens, specifically the large lens cover.
I don't mind it, especially if its a design choice LG had to make in-order to incorporate the OIS camera sensor. I'd rather have a slightly protruding camera lens on an otherwise thin phone over a recessed camera on a thick phone or a weird camera hump like that of the nokia 1020.

Quote:
I currently have a dbrand skin covering the lens - is this likely to develop into a crack, or should I not worry about it?
I don't think a small scratch on something small like the camera lens would grow to be a crack. So don't worry about it.

Quote:
I've read somewhere that the camera lens is sapphire crystal and virtually unscratchable
You've read wrong, Nexus 5 was never claimed to have a sapphire crystal camera lens.