Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Nexus 5 camera does not record video

OP shahidhussain

23rd January 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

84 posts
My wife has Nexus 5 (it is completely stock and unrooted with unlocked bootloader) running running Android 4.4.2. Recently, the stock camera app stopped recording videos. Tapping the record button does not do anything while camera works perfectly in photo mode. I factory reset the phone but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
23rd January 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

37 posts
lock the bootloader and send it back
23rd January 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Riding my Bike
Thanks Meter: 6,421

3,575 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahidhussain

My wife has Nexus 5 (it is completely stock and unrooted with unlocked bootloader) running running Android 4.4.2. Recently, the stock camera app stopped recording videos. Tapping the record button does not do anything while camera works perfectly in photo mode. I factory reset the phone but the problem persists. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Try to clear data and cache from camera in settings.
If that doesnt work either and you really have done the factory reset, you have to send it to repair bc of an hardware deffect.
23rd January 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichti1901

Try to clear data and cache from camera in settings.
If that doesnt work either and you really have done the factory reset, you have to send it to repair bc of an hardware deffect.

I will try that but I think factory resetting clears cache, anyway. The phone camera worked fine previously but now suddenly it stopped.

Thanks anyway.
23rd January 2014, 02:53 PM   |  #5  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 17

192 posts
More
I have the same problem, when I change the camera app to record nothing happens when I press the red record button. I think the problem started when I upgraded to 4.4.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Riding my Bike
Thanks Meter: 6,421

3,575 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I will try that but I think factory resetting clears cache, anyway. The phone camera worked fine previously but now suddenly it stopped.

Thanks anyway.

And you flashed the right one? Hammerhead-4.4.2

Like i said before, if that doesnt help, you have to send it back to get a replacement.

Quote:

You need to uncompress each download before use, which creates a new directory for that exact download. That directory contains a ./flash-all.sh script, which handles the various operations, installs the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. Note that this operation deletes all user data by default

Make yure that data gets wiped also! Dont forget to backup your sdcard bc it gets also wiped.
Last edited by lichti1901; 23rd January 2014 at 03:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lichti1901 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

84 posts
Quote:

I did not flash anything. The phone was OTA updated. Please note that the phone received OTA update and when I applied it, it completed its process but did not update (it was still on older android version) and this happened several times (I mentioned this on a separate thread here on XDA old post).
23rd January 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

84 posts
Quote:

Like i said before, if that doesnt help, you have to send it back to get a replacement.

Make yure that data gets wiped also! Dont forget to backup your sdcard bc it gets also wiped.

I downgraded Nexus 5 from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4 and now the camera is working fine. But I am afraid of updating it back to 4.4.2.
23rd January 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 3,288

8,933 posts
More
Quote:

I downgraded Nexus 5 from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4 and now the camera is working fine. But I am afraid of updating it back to 4.4.2.

Flash the whole 4.2.2 stock rom in fastboot bro, i have no issues with video recording both on Dalvik and Art runtime
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

84 posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012

Flash the whole 4.2.2 stock rom in fastboot bro, i have no issues with video recording both on Dalvik and Art runtime

Yes, I did it. Flashed the stock 4.4.2 and everything seems to work fine. However, when I tried updating using OTA after downgrading the update failed and stopped with "Error" message. After flashing 4.4.2 from scratch will hopefully allow smooth future OTA updates. Thanks everyone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera app, nexus 5, video issue, video recording
Previous Thread Next Thread