XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 not charging/charging slowly

Tip us?

Tone-Fu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Nexus 5 not charging/charging slowly

I was wondering whether anyone else is having issues with their Nexus 5 not charging, or at the very least charging super slowly?

Mine has been plugged in for about 3 hours and only charged up about 10%. Could it be a teething issue (it's the first charge out of the box) or something worth contacting Google about?

Any input would be gratefully received.
Quote:
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone-Fu View Post
I was wondering whether anyone else is having issues with their Nexus 5 not charging, or at the very least charging super slowly?

Mine has been plugged in for about 3 hours and only charged up about 10%. Could it be a teething issue (it's the first charge out of the box) or something worth contacting Google about?

Reboot your phone. Does it show the same battery percentage?

Tone-Fu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63 View Post
Reboot your phone. Does it show the same battery percentage?
Yeah, I've rebooted a few times as I've been installing odds and bods and getting it how I like it.

I plugged it in with a different charger which took it up to 100% in about an hour, but after unplugging it and using it for about 45mins it's dropped like 35-40% - and that isn't media consumption, that's just settings, web, etc. I'm not sure whether its me or the phone!
Quote:

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2716
Quote:
Yeah, I've rebooted a few times as I've been installing odds and bods and getting it how I like it.

I plugged it in with a different charger which took it up to 100% in about an hour, but after unplugging it and using it for about 45mins it's dropped like 35-40% - and that isn't media consumption, that's just settings, web, etc. I'm not sure whether its me or the phone!
Definitely the phone. But I can't figure out exactly what.
The drop to 40% could some from brightness, data, you using and playing with it. In that case, the charger is broken, and needs sending back.
The Following User Says Thank You to abaaaabbbb63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Keydogg1
Old
Thanks Meter 12
When it's charging go to settings > battery and see what it says at the top next to the word charging.

If it says (AC) then it should be going up around 1% or so every minute, if it says (USB) then it will be anything from 1% every 3 or 4 minutes to every 15 minutes. If you're using the stock charger (plugged into wall socket) it should always say (AC), if it says (USB) then something is wrong.
iPhone 3GS > HTC Sensation > Samsung Galaxy S3 > HTC One X+ > Google Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Keydogg1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tone-Fu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I'll keep an eye on it over the next 12-24 and see if I can isolate what's responsible. It's an odd one though, for sure.
Quote:

Stylus_XL
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:

Glad it's not just me experiencing this. I noticed yesterday that when I took my new Nexus 5 out of the box and plugged into my computer's USB port to charge it the phone's battery percentage was rising painfully slowly, and the percentage wouldn't budge at all when the screen was on.

I charged it to 100% over night using the supplied charger. Drove to work this morning with it plugged into the USB port on my car stereo, and unlike my Nexus 4 which would usually be on 100% by the time I get out of the car, the Nexus 5 was on 94%.

I've been at work for an one hour and 20 minutes now, and whilst my nexus 5 was sitting in my pocket doing seemingly nothing it has dropped from 94% to 80% battery. At this rate it will be on red before I leave work, and even sooner than that if I have to actually use it.

BetterBatteryStats doesn't work with Kit Kat yet so I'm unable to gain any further clues... Will be interested to hear what happens with your Nexus 5.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stylus_XL For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tone-Fu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I've been keeping my eye on it and it seems that Google Services is using the most battery, 24% at present, and my screen - which I would expect to be sapping it the most - is only at 9%.

That said, I charged it up to 100% last night and left it and it was at 91% by morning without being used at all. By lunchtime it was down to 73%, again, without any use save for half a dozen text messages sent.

It's not terribly impressive so far, it has to be said. I'm hoping it's just a painful breaking in process rather than an RMA issue, because Google offers shocking after sales service.
Quote:

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2716
Quote:
I've been keeping my eye on it and it seems that Google Services is using the most battery, 24% at present, and my screen - which I would expect to be sapping it the most - is only at 9%.

That said, I charged it up to 100% last night and left it and it was at 91% by morning without being used at all. By lunchtime it was down to 73%, again, without any use save for half a dozen text messages sent.

It's not terribly impressive so far, it has to be said. I'm hoping it's just a painful breaking in process rather than an RMA issue, because Google offers shocking after sales service.
You don't need to RMA. It's the software's fault. Maybe the fact that Google Now listens to you continuously when you're on your homescreen has something to do with it.

ctbear
Old
Thanks Meter 293
Sounds like the phone is performing some sort of heavy background task? Maybe backing up your app settings?