[Q] Nexus 5 charging only when it is turned off

Search This thread

guilmm

Feb 20, 2011
Hey there!

My Nexus 5, after updating it to 4.4.3, is having a issue: the device is charging only when it is turned off. When I turn the phone on, while charging, it will remain charging. But if I connect the charger, when the phone is already turned on, it will not charge.

I have tested 2 different cables, same issue.

Is anyone else having the same problem? How to fix it? :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I think it might be a hardware issue. I have the same problem with my pebble. I have tried multiple cables/chargers and it only charges when it's off. When it's on I get the charging notification but it doesn't actually charge

lettcco

Sep 22, 2007
Having the same issue since update 2 weeks ago. Already wiped phone and problem still exist. Start to think it's hardware but tried 2 different charger same issue.

Bl4ckX

Jan 26, 2013
Düsseldorf
So guys I am almost the same problem since this morning. I went on a 3 day trip to the Netherlands on Friday and charged my phone in the car for the last time on friday. I died on me this morning. While I was on the way back today and my N5 was in it's last percents of battery I noticed it wouldnt charge anymore. I thought fastcharging might have killed my car radio. Now back home I tried to charge it. For some reason the charging while off screen reapeared as soon as it turned off. Whenn I turned it on again it stopped charging. Tried rebooting multiple times. My phone now only charges while being in Fastboot or Recovery mode. Anybody having any ideas what might have caused this an how to fix this? Cleaning the charger didn't help me.

pasviking

Sep 6, 2014
Nexus 5 won`t charge when on

So guys I am almost the same problem since this morning. I went on a 3 day trip to the Netherlands on Friday and charged my phone in the car for the last time on friday. I died on me this morning. While I was on the way back today and my N5 was in it's last percents of battery I noticed it wouldnt charge anymore. I thought fastcharging might have killed my car radio. Now back home I tried to charge it. For some reason the charging while off screen reapeared as soon as it turned off. Whenn I turned it on again it stopped charging. Tried rebooting multiple times. My phone now only charges while being in Fastboot or Recovery mode. Anybody having any ideas what might have caused this an how to fix this? Cleaning the charger didn't help me.

Hi. Also had this problem a few days now. Alot of headscraching is done:p
N5 won`t charge when on. Tried my N10 charger, but still the same. With my wireless charger it register the phone when off, but cannot charge it at all. I've also done a factory reset, and even changed the battery. Still no solution. Wondering if the charging port is damaged somehow. It doesn't cost much so maybe I`ll order a new and replace it to. I remember draining the battery more than usual right before this issue acurred. I was hiking, and din`t bring my portable charger. Also it could be some kind of water damage. Had the phone in my pocket all the time, it was not raining, but I got pretty sweaty:-9 Never had any issue with my stock Nexus 5 up till now. Don`t think this i a common problem, when this is the only place I've found others with this issue:( I`ll order the charging port, keep on searching on forums, and take it from there.
Good luck:)

RandomSynapse

Jun 9, 2010
I'm having the same problem on my Nexus 5 now as well. When on, it won't charge via micro-usb (via original charger or USB-to-PC), nor will it charge wirelessly. When turned completely off, it charges, but at GREATLY GREATLY reduced speed. It seems to be stuck in a loop as it it's just been plugged in. It cycles continuously through the lightning-bolt battery image, followed by the charge percentage graphic. The screen blinks, then it starts again. I suspect that it only charges for a moment or two before each reset. For example, it only charged about 20% over the span of six hours last night.

I've tried four chargers and four USB cables, and of course both wireless and wired charging. It's something with the hardware I suspect.
Anyone have any suggestions? It looks the the factory wipe upthread didn't help...

ashishsk

Feb 24, 2015
Charging spare part

I am having same problem too. I'm guessing it's because of water damage. Where did you find the charging part? I'm thinking of ordering one for myself to see if the problem is fixed!
Hi. Also had this problem a few days now. Alot of headscraching is done:p
N5 won`t charge when on. Tried my N10 charger, but still the same. With my wireless charger it register the phone when off, but cannot charge it at all. I've also done a factory reset, and even changed the battery. Still no solution. Wondering if the charging port is damaged somehow. It doesn't cost much so maybe I`ll order a new and replace it to. I remember draining the battery more than usual right before this issue acurred. I was hiking, and din`t bring my portable charger. Also it could be some kind of water damage. Had the phone in my pocket all the time, it was not raining, but I got pretty sweaty:-9 Never had any issue with my stock Nexus 5 up till now. Don`t think this i a common problem, when this is the only place I've found others with this issue:( I`ll order the charging port, keep on searching on forums, and take it from there.
Good luck:)

EvilBetty

Oct 24, 2007
Having the same problem now too. Won't Qi or USB charge from OEM charger and cable while powered on.
Appears to be charging fine while powered off.

Did anyone come up with a resolution?