Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,582 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mobile data being used while being disabled

Tip us?

DdragonPT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Mobile data being used while being disabled

I have got a problem which is bothering me, actually it is pissing me off, which is the fact that mobile data is being used on the background on my nexus 5 even if the mobile data is disabled. These data accesses from my phone are obvioulsy being executed by some app or apps on my phone but this shouldn't happen since I only use wi-fi. In the Network Usage screen there is no app whatsoever, and still at random moments of the day/night it uses mobile data.
Usually these unwanted data accesses are during the night, most of them at exactly midnight, but others are at random hours and, the only way I noticed this was happening was by consulting my phone registers in my account in my service prodiver's webpage.

I am not totally sure of this but from what I have read and been told, if the mobile data is disabled the other option which is "Background Data" is not accounted. So, if the general option for mobile data is disabled NO data at all should be used.

There is a thread which reports a similar problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816167 , however it is not helpful and not about nexus 5.

Does anyone know what could be happening? I am 100% stock on my nexus 5 anyway and only download apps from the store directly, so there isn't any administrative access for any of the apps that I installed. Maybe it is something related to the fact that this is my first phone in which I have 4G enabled? I really don't know...

Thank you in advance!

DdragonPT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Update on the current situation:

I asked my service provider (Vodafone) to disable 4G, and to keep only 3G for mobile data. Strangely since that, no more random unwanted mobile background data has been used, so I can conclude two things:
- The genesis of the problem could be on my service provider whenever 4G is enabled by them for the client, or,
- The problem could be on the android OS (4.X +), which may not be doing the block on the mobile data aproprietly. And since I browsed for similar problems, the problem was always with 4G and on 4.X + version of the android, independant from the phone brand and service provider.

This problem should be reported on google AOSP forum.

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdragonPT View Post
I have got a problem which is bothering me, actually it is pissing me off, which is the fact that mobile data is being used on the background on my nexus 5 even if the mobile data is disabled. These data accesses from my phone are obvioulsy being executed by some app or apps on my phone but this shouldn't happen since I only use wi-fi. In the Network Usage screen there is no app whatsoever, and still at random moments of the day/night it uses mobile data.
Usually these unwanted data accesses are during the night, most of them at exactly midnight, but others are at random hours and, the only way I noticed this was happening was by consulting my phone registers in my account in my service prodiver's webpage.

I am not totally sure of this but from what I have read and been told, if the mobile data is disabled the other option which is "Background Data" is not accounted. So, if the general option for mobile data is disabled NO data at all should be used.

There is a thread which reports a similar problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816167 , however it is not helpful and not about nexus 5.

Does anyone know what could be happening? I am 100% stock on my nexus 5 anyway and only download apps from the store directly, so there isn't any administrative access for any of the apps that I installed. Maybe it is something related to the fact that this is my first phone in which I have 4G enabled? I really don't know...

Thank you in advance!
When this happens, can you look into data usage to see what app was using the mobile data? Maybe that app somehow has some permission to enable mobile data. I've not heard of that happening, so not sure how that would happen.

Also, how are you disabling the mobile data? (some widgets provide the ability to turn off 2g and/or 3g and/or 4g independently - so make sure that both 3g and 4g are being turned off)

DdragonPT
Old
(Last edited by DdragonPT; 20th January 2014 at 03:35 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
When this happens, can you look into data usage to see what app was using the mobile data? Maybe that app somehow has some permission to enable mobile data. I've not heard of that happening, so not sure how that would happen.

Also, how are you disabling the mobile data? (some widgets provide the ability to turn off 2g and/or 3g and/or 4g independently - so make sure that both 3g and 4g are being turned off)
Since the moment I disabled mobile data (30th of December) no apps are shown in the data usage, I said this above: "In the Network Usage screen there is no app whatsoever, and still at random moments of the day/night it uses mobile data."

Concerning the 3G and 4G being turnned off or not, I could turn them off but I shouldn't need to do it since by disabling Mobile Data in the Network Usage menu should take care of blocking the data correctly.

This problem has been resolved, but not in the ideal way, as I said in my second post. Since I asked my service provider to turn off 4G on their side, there are no mobile data accesses being done from my phone.

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdragonPT View Post
When since I disabled mobile data no apps are shown in the data usage, I said this above: "In the Network Usage screen there is no app whatsoever, and still at random moments of the day/night it uses mobile data."

Concerning the 3G and 4G being turnned off or not, I could turn them off but I shouldn't need to do it since by disabling Mobile Data in the Network Usage menu should take care of blocking the data correctly.

This problem has been resolved, but not in the ideal way, as I said in my second post. Since I asked my service provider to turn off 4G on their side, there are no mobile data accesses being done from my phone.
Turning 4G off is one way to fix this
I wonder if the service provider had some issues with counting 4G usage - I don't recall hearing of an issue where turning mobile data off would permit usage. But I could be mistaken.
(assuming you are going into settings to disable mobile data, yes, that should completely disable the mobile data connection 3g/4g - wasn't sure if you were using a widget or other means)

DdragonPT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
Turning 4G off is one way to fix this
I wonder if the service provider had some issues with counting 4G usage - I don't recall hearing of an issue where turning mobile data off would permit usage. But I could be mistaken.
(assuming you are going into settings to disable mobile data, yes, that should completely disable the mobile data connection 3g/4g - wasn't sure if you were using a widget or other means)
I know what you mean about not hearing about the problem since there are only a hand full of forums which mention this. However I do believe this is generalised for 4G and, probably most people don't even notice it because, either:
- People that never had a mobile data subscription never needed 4G (activated by their service provider), and so in 3G no problems exist. Or,
- People that have a mobile data subscription don't need to worry about these "leaks" of mobile data, and so they never notice it, even if they disable mobile data since their data subscription is enough to not make them pay for a single access (as it happens in my case).

DdragonPT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
UPDATE on my situation:

Since I asked my mobile service provider (VODAFONE) to turn off 4G for my number all the mobile data leaks disappeared and all is working fine. But the question still remains, if the problem originates from the mobile service provider or from the android 4.4.2 rom

Avi1sh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have got the same magic with my nexus 5(4.4.2), with disabled mobile data (we have only edge-gprs) it connects to network via cell and my mobile operator charges money..

DREWHAMM974
Old
Thanks Meter 581

DONATE TO ME
That shows its not just a problem with 4G since he's having an issue with edge/2G

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joannn
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 13
I am mostly or you can say only on WiFi , I did find some extra charges because of some mobile data usage, contacting my service provider did help, but I still believe that there are certain apps which work even when I am not on WiFi hence the extra charges.

Tags
background data, mobile data, nexus 5