Question [Q] Nexus 5 has repeated force closes on newly installed stock firmware

OP slixzen

24th February 2015, 11:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

344 posts
Hey,

I purchased a used Nexus 5, 32GB edition (I think the model is D821) as my then current phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4) somehow had a magically broken screen after setting it down on a bed. I have since been able to access my old phone, but it isn't usable as a daily handset.

Anyways, wen I first obtained this phone, I wanted to be safe so I unlocked the bootloader, downloaded the necessary tools to use adb/fastboot, wiped the phones storage, and then flashed the latest version 5.0.1 LRX22C. After installing the normal things I had on my old phone and rooting the device, I have noticed that I get an absurdly abnormal amount of force closes. Mainly dealing with the launcher.

On a daily basis, the launcher, and it seems to mainly ONLY be the launcher (either Google Launcher or Nova, it isn't application specific) force close, freeze, or become unresponsive. I can come to this conclusion on the following basis:
1) The launcher screen shows the background, but doesn't show the dock or any of the shortcut/widgets on the launcher
2) All I can see is a black screen and the notification bar/tab. This is sometimes evaded by switching to the recent apps button and then switching back using the home button.
3) It will show the screen with all applications, but won't swipe between home screens.

There is no major physical damage to the device, there is a hairline crack from the previous owner.

I am guessing that I could go through the process of downloading the firmware and reflashing it, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to solve it, besides flashing the device immediately. I don't want to go through the hassle of flashing firmwares and setting up a device again, especially during finals week. The problem is annoying enough that it would make me post this, but not annoying enough to spend an entire afternoon dealing with that and re-configuring applications and such.

Thanks for the help in advance.
24th February 2015, 01:22 PM   |  #2  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 2,648

6,458 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slixzen

Hey,

I purchased a used Nexus 5, 32GB edition (I think the model is D821) as my then current phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4) somehow had a magically broken screen after setting it down on a bed. I have since been able to access my old phone, but it isn't usable as a daily handset.

Anyways, wen I first obtained this phone, I wanted to be safe so I unlocked the bootloader, downloaded the necessary tools to use adb/fastboot, wiped the phones storage, and then flashed the latest version 5.0.1 LRX22C. After installing the normal things I had on my old phone and rooting the device, I have noticed that I get an absurdly abnormal amount of force closes. Mainly dealing with the launcher.

On a daily basis, the launcher, and it seems to mainly ONLY be the launcher (either Google Launcher or Nova, it isn't application specific) force close, freeze, or become unresponsive. I can come to this conclusion on the following basis:
1) The launcher screen shows the background, but doesn't show the dock or any of the shortcut/widgets on the launcher
2) All I can see is a black screen and the notification bar/tab. This is sometimes evaded by switching to the recent apps button and then switching back using the home button.
3) It will show the screen with all applications, but won't swipe between home screens.

There is no major physical damage to the device, there is a hairline crack from the previous owner.

I am guessing that I could go through the process of downloading the firmware and reflashing it, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to solve it, besides flashing the device immediately. I don't want to go through the hassle of flashing firmwares and setting up a device again, especially during finals week. The problem is annoying enough that it would make me post this, but not annoying enough to spend an entire afternoon dealing with that and re-configuring applications and such.

Thanks for the help in advance.

How did you install the stock firmware? Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache in recovery? I'd do that first, and if that doesn't work then try dirty flashing the same ROM (you won't lose anything). If you are still having issues after then flash a factory image with fastboot (do NOT use a toolkit). That should fix it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
force close, google launcher, launcher, nexus 5, nova launcher
Previous Thread Next Thread