[Q] Nexus 5 not connecting to computer (usb), does not show in device manager

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
By tropicalchills, Junior Member on 23rd June 2014, 12:44 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

I would like to see if I can get anyones assistance with solving my problem. I have lost the ability to connect my Nexus 5 to my computer via USB. I had previously been able to connect the phone without any problems.

Connecting my phone to PC charges the phone but no drivers are loaded, nothing changes in device manager and I cannot see a change in windows explorer to view the memory card.

So far I have tried the following:
  • searches on various sites
  • rebooting phone, starting in safe mode, wiping all data, performing a hard reset
  • connecting other phones to usb cable to check that it is not a charge only cable, also trying several other USB cables
  • connecting phone to other computers
  • connecting other phones (HTC) to load drivers (then uninstalling drivers)
  • displaying all hidden devices in device manager and removing all drivers that resemble something to do with mobile phones
  • uninstalling programs I no longer require on the PC
  • using "wugs nexus root toolkit" to uninstall and re-install drivers
  • checking & unchecking MTP, PTP, developer options, USB debugging in various combinations to elicit a response from the computer.
  • I have also tried to visually check the connections of the USB port on the phone wondering is there is a break but I cannot see very well.

does anyone have any further suggestions to get this phone connected to a PC?
my only last thought is to attempt to open the phone and check the resistance of the plug connections.
23rd June 2014, 01:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,776
Have you tried enabling and disabling usb debugging while plugged in?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd June 2014, 01:14 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
I just did it, no change in Device manager or explorer
Last edited by tropicalchills; 23rd June 2014 at 01:41 PM.
23rd June 2014, 04:16 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 22
Originally Posted by tropicalchills

I just did it, no change in Device manager or explorer

Are you sure you're using a data usb cable and the usb port is good?
23rd June 2014, 05:42 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3
Same Issue
same thing happened to me today when i connected the device to PC.

Mine says unknown device on PC under other devices. so i hope my USB port is ok.but im not using the original SUB cable. i wonder that's is the issue. but it didn't bother me until today. my original cable is at my friend's house.

Tried updating drivers manually. But following error message occurs once i select the drivers folder and hit ok.

Windows was unable to install your unknown device

Please help.
2nd July 2014, 04:39 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
so, not really a solution but while at work my phone fell on to a nice rock cracking the screen. I have replaced the phone and the new phone connects to the pc fine, drivers come up without a problem (I will put this down to a fault with the phone)
Thank you for your assistance
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread