[Q] Nexus 5 constantly rebooting at 'Google'

21st September 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 23

42 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshsonawala

Thanks. I restored it to the original nexus 5 build - but nothing seems to fix the problem. will reach out to service center.

its not a software problem its basically caused by a fault in motherboard...........thats what the service center told me.........all the best!!
21st September 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Lg will cover it for free if its under warranty. I just had that happen to me not too long ago. I was without it for about a week and a half.
22nd September 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 106

202 posts
Same thing started happening to me today
The exact same problem started happening to me today. My N5 was one of the first-day order models, and the power button is a little loose, so I guess it must have gotten faulty over time.

Going to RMA it tomorrow. It seems like this issue is popping up everywhere all of the sudden.
22nd September 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #24  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 330

1,865 posts
More
This happened the me a few months ago. Google RMAed o e to me and overnighted a replacement. The weird thing is they sent me a label to return the phone to LG, then a day later they said not to use that label but use a new one and the new one was labeled to Google in Mountain View. I'm guessing it is happening a lot and Google wanted to look at it themselves.

Also I fixed mind with a couple magnets from a hard drive I took apart. I just kept playing with it around the power button, then having the phone sideways with the power button sitting on top of the magnet I was able to get it to boot up and flash back to stock, etc, then kept playing with it and problem went away. I emailed Google that I did that and sent the phone back anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to nxt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th September 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #25  
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 187

1,008 posts
After trying all suggestions.
Only the above magnet trickery WORKED.

Magnet held at the power switch for 1second did the trick!!!!!

The only thing that gave any hope before this trick was a constant tapping at the back of the phone behind the power switch - this was not fool proof and allowed the phone to continue booting but as soon as you stop tapping it would reboot again.

I even disassembled the device to assess the switch on the motherboard, playing around gave no success with this attempt.
(the switch its soldering and the board itself all looked healthy.)

Given the success with the magnet there is strong reason to believe the 2 metal contacts WITHIN the power switch itself were indeed stuck together -
HENCE whenever you attempt to power on (without USB connected) it wouldn't power up BECAUSE the 2 contacts were already touching (hence the device wouldn't distinguish the power button being pressed.)

However when inserting the USB to the phone, the device as you'd expect TURNS ON automatically without needing to press the power button... BUT because the 2 contacts within the power switch were constantly touching this would induce a undesired Power Button Press (albeit without actually pressing the power button.)

This now makes sense that when applying a strong magnet in and around the Power Switch - releases the 2 contacts within the switch & therefore deems the power switch usable once again (for how long the switch continues to behave is unknown - perhaps we need to keep a magnet on our key-ring at all times haha.)

Great diagnosis @nxt.

Saved my girlfriend and I a lot of hassle.

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

This is NOT s/w related - most definitely h/w related.
Last edited by dillalade; 28th September 2014 at 06:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dillalade For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 04:37 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Thank you so much for this solution!! I tried to use Magnet but it failed (maybe because my Magnet is not powerful)..
And then I kept tapping at the back of the phone, it can finally boot up!!! I tried to keep tapping for almost half an hour and seems it's return to normal now...
But I don't know when it would be broken again...But anyway...thanks for the solution!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillalade

After trying all suggestions.
Only the above magnet trickery WORKED.

Magnet held at the power switch for 1second did the trick!!!!!

The only thing that gave any hope before this trick was a constant tapping at the back of the phone behind the power switch - this was not fool proof and allowed the phone to continue booting but as soon as you stop tapping it would reboot again.

I even disassembled the device to assess the switch on the motherboard, playing around gave no success with this attempt.
(the switch its soldering and the board itself all looked healthy.)

Given the success with the magnet there is strong reason to believe the 2 metal contacts WITHIN the power switch itself were indeed stuck together -
HENCE whenever you attempt to power on (without USB connected) it wouldn't power up BECAUSE the 2 contacts were already touching (hence the device wouldn't distinguish the power button being pressed.)

However when inserting the USB to the phone, the device as you'd expect TURNS ON automatically without needing to press the power button... BUT because the 2 contacts within the power switch were constantly touching this would induce a undesired Power Button Press (albeit without actually pressing the power button.)

This now makes sense that when applying a strong magnet in and around the Power Switch - releases the 2 contacts within the switch & therefore deems the power switch usable once again (for how long the switch continues to behave is unknown - perhaps we need to keep a magnet on our key-ring at all times haha.)

Great diagnosis @nxt.

Saved my girlfriend and I a lot of hassle.

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

This is NOT s/w related - most definitely h/w related.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot loop, nexus 5
Previous Thread Next Thread