Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,269 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 on no data / low data plan.

Tip us?

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Just use T-Mobiles 5GB $30 plan. All you need is a brand new micro-SIM card. If you live in a non-edge area it'd be a good plan. Granted it's only 100 minutes but T-Mobile's network is fast enough a VoIP option would work great.

jonflo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Before I got a Nexus 5, I was on PagePlus's 250MB and then 500MB plan. It's very doable to stay within those limits if you understand and are okay with cutting back on certain things. My experience was on Android 2.3, so keep that in mind as some things may use more data now.

Tips:
  • Droidwall app -- you can limit the apps that can use data.
  • The Dolphin (maybe others?) have the setting to disable images on webpages.
  • Once a GPS route is loaded, it should take you to your destination with data disabled. From my experience (not a heavy driver), using GPS with data enabled didn't use a ton of data.
  • And...tweaking the rest to your personal preference.

Extreme data saving does inhibit some of the smartphone experience, but I'm sure you would survive either way. You can always change your mind and switch plans, so it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonflo View Post
Before I got a Nexus 5, I was on PagePlus's 250MB and then 500MB plan. It's very doable to stay within those limits if you understand and are okay with cutting back on certain things. My experience was on Android 2.3, so keep that in mind as some things may use more data now.

Tips:
  • Droidwall app -- you can limit the apps that can use data.
  • The Dolphin (maybe others?) have the setting to disable images on webpages.
  • Once a GPS route is loaded, it should take you to your destination with data disabled. From my experience (not a heavy driver), using GPS with data enabled didn't use a ton of data.
  • And...tweaking the rest to your personal preference.

Extreme data saving does inhibit some of the smartphone experience, but I'm sure you would survive either way. You can always change your mind and switch plans, so it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.
Chrome has that covered now. It can even compress your browsing to save 50% of your data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32

brooksyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Just use T-Mobiles 5GB $30 plan. All you need is a brand new micro-SIM card. If you live in a non-edge area it'd be a good plan. Granted it's only 100 minutes but T-Mobile's network is fast enough a VoIP option would work great.
Ha yeah right, I need unlimited talk. Don't want to mess with all that VoIP stuff. I decided to just stay with Straight Talk for now. Currently in the process of switching jobs and will be traveling the first month for training. Can't risk loosing my number or service so safe to just stay put for now.
Boost & Virgin Mobile Epic 4g Touch CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post28439426
Virgin Mobile Epic 4g CM7 & CM9 MMS Fix: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post22403917
Coug Companion App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aC55a3lhY3ciXQ..