Post Reply

[Q] Nexus 5 Data recovery?

19th August 2014, 01:05 PM   |  #1  
Ashutosh1313's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 40
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
I rooted my nexus 5 and installed new ROM. Can i recover my data back which was on stock ROM??

PS: I have formatted and installed like 7-8 ROMS after stock ROM so there have been 8 wipes on NEXUS 5!
19th August 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #2  
Primokorn's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Annecy
Thanks Meter: 2,299
 
4,214 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh1313

I rooted my nexus 5 and installed new ROM. Can i recover my data back which was on stock ROM??

PS: I have formatted and installed like 7-8 ROMS after stock ROM so there have been 8 wipes on NEXUS 5!

No if you didn't backup your data before wiping and flashing a new rom.
19th August 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #3  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,676
 
22,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh1313

I rooted my nexus 5 and installed new ROM. Can i recover my data back which was on stock ROM??

PS: I have formatted and installed like 7-8 ROMS after stock ROM so there have been 8 wipes on NEXUS 5!

Good luck. It is minutely possible by taking an image of the data partition, converting it using simg2img and mounting it as raw on Linux, then running data recovery tools... But its a very involved process and if you have written over the blocks already, then the data is gone... So quick answer, not now, no. If you have an old nandroid, possibly
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #4  
Ashutosh1313's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 40
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Good luck. It is minutely possible by taking an image of the data partition, converting it using simg2img and mounting it as raw on Linux, then running data recovery tools... But its a very involved process and if you have written over the blocks already, then the data is gone... So quick answer, not now, no. If you have an old nandroid, possibly

Thank you very much for replying sir! I was actually reading your thread.
And yes I have written over the new data every time i booted into new rom. So to be precise I have formatted and written over the data more than 7-8 times.
SO please tell me how are the chances of me getting the file from Stock rom back?
PS: The files were 3 video files each around 400 mb & I dont have nand backup

Waiting for your reply sir
19th August 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #5  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,676
 
22,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh1313

Thank you very much for replying sir! I was actually reading your thread.
And yes I have written over the new data every time i booted into new rom. So to be precise I have formatted and written over the data more than 7-8 times.
SO please tell me how are the chances of me getting the file from Stock rom back?
PS: The files were 3 video files each around 400 mb

Waiting for your reply sir

Formatting isn't a problem. It doesn't delete the data.

Your memory is broken into blocks (Now This isn't accurate, but lets pretend it is...) so it starts at block 1 and ends at block 100...

You save a video to sdcard and its the first data stored there, it goes to block 1.. The next data goes to 2 etc.

When you format, the entires in the file system are removed, but the data remains, until you overwrite data. Since the file system is empty, after a wipe, the data starts from block 1 again, overwritting the previous data in block one.

Once this happens, its gone forever. So your chance is small....

The only chance you can save data is for example, before wipe, used 8GB memory. After wipe only used 4 GB data.. The last blocks of your previous data set (4 GB) MAY be recoverable.

See attached for visual representation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	11
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2903741  
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #6  
Ashutosh1313's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 40
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Formatting isn't a problem. It doesn't delete the data.

Your memory is broken into blocks (Now This isn't accurate, but lets pretend it is...) so it starts at block 1 and ends at block 100...

You save a video to sdcard and its the first data stored there, it goes to block 1.. The next data goes to 2 etc.

When you format, the entires in the file system are removed, but the data remains, until you overwrite data. Since the file system is empty, after a wipe, the data starts from block 1 again, overwritting the previous data in block one.

Once this happens, its gone forever. So your chance is small....

The only chance you can save data is for example, before wipe, used 8GB memory. After wipe only used 4 GB data.. The last blocks of your previous data set (4 GB) MAY be recoverable.

See attached for visual representation

Thank you again! That was really nice explanation

I have filled up the storage up to the last bit after every new ROM installation.[ Hardly kept 100-150 MB free space]
So its not possible for me to restore the videos as they were 400+MB right??
Anyways Thank you very much for replying.
Cheers!
19th August 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #7  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,676
 
22,632 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh1313

Thank you again! That was really nice explanation

I have filled up the storage up to the last bit after every new ROM installation.[ Hardly kept 100-150 MB free space]
So its not possible for me to restore the videos as they were 400+MB right??
Anyways Thank you very much for replying.
Cheers!

Correct, not possible

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank