Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 52,975 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 with dead flash memory?

Tip us?

sir_earl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Default Nexus 5 with dead flash memory?

I went to use my Nexus 5 (D821) earlier today but it wouldn't turn on. Holding power didn't seem to work, so I assumed the battery was flat and left it charging for a couple of hours. Now it gets stuck at the first black and white "google" logo forever. The device is unlocked and rooted, but was working fine, and nothing was changed leading up to the issue.

I'm able to access the bootloader and fastboot still, but nothing seems to work.

Attempting to flash a partition (fastboot flash recovery twrp.img):

FAILED (remote: flash write failure)

Attempting to erase a partition (fastboot erase userdata):

FAILED (remote: failed to erase partition)

I can boot TWRP by running fastboot boot twrp.img, but attempting to mount any partitions results in errors such as:

E: Unable to find partition size for /system
E: Unable to mount /system

Also, attempting to install a zip shows that internal storage is 0MB in size.

At this stage, I suspect the flash memory has died a horrible death, and I'm trying to work out how to set the tampered and unlocked flags back to false to I can return it under warranty, however this is proving difficult too. If I run 'fastboot oem lock', it appears to succeed (the bootloader even changes to 'LOCK STATE - locked'), but as soon as I reboot the device, it reverts back to unlocked, and the padlock shows up again.

I've even tried manually via:

echo -ne "\x00" | dd obs=1 count=1 seek=16400 of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
echo -ne "\x00" | dd obs=1 count=1 seek=16404 of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

but these don't seem to have any effect on the flags.

So now I'm out of ideas, and just hoping I can set these flags back before sending the device for warranty. Any ideas?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,419
There's nothing you can do about it now. Just send it back. I doubt they'll blame flash memory failure on unlocking the bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 657
I was helping a guy yestreday, he had a some problem like you. When you turn on the phone, the flashchip shuts off for some reasone. I was looking for the mmc or mmcblk device in the /dev then /dev/block after I booted a twrp like you, but I could not find any device called mmcblk or mmc, even the partitions was missing like mmcblk0p1 etc...

cat /proc/partitions just give me an empty screen, that it didnt find any storage device.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sir_earl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
There's nothing you can do about it now. Just send it back. I doubt they'll blame flash memory failure on unlocking the bootloader
I'm just a little worried they'll refuse to honour the warranty without even bothering to check the hardware. Aren't they within their right to do this given the warranty terms? Sounds like I don't have any choice!

sir_earl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
I was helping a guy yestreday, he had a some problem like you. When you turn on the phone, the flashchip shuts off for some reasone. I was looking for the mmc or mmcblk device in the /dev then /dev/block after I booted a twrp like you, but I could not find any device called mmcblk or mmc, even the partitions was missing like mmcblk0p1 etc...

cat /proc/partitions just give me an empty screen, that it didnt find any storage device.
I'm seeing a bunch of partitions listed when I run 'cat /proc/partitions', so I guess my issue might be a little different.

What I'm confused about though, is if the NAND flash is truely dead, how does the bootloader run? Isn't this stored on the same NAND flash chip? Also, aren't the lock state and tamper flags on the same chip? If so, how are these still accessible, but not writeable? I'm guessing it's not a complete failure, but only a partial one... Thoughts?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,419
It surely isn't fully dead. It could be a corrupt partition or bunch of partitions being the issue. But the bootloader also isn't fully functional as you cannot relock it.

You definitely need to reset tamper flag for RMA, but for warranty, don't they have to prove that the hardware fault was caused by the unlocked bootloader? I know Samsung refuse warranty on modification but I don't think Google do. It is a developer phone after all.

That said, you've no choice as I can see. I'm not aware of anyone having warranty rejected or approved with an unlocked bootloader yet
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_earl View Post
I'm seeing a bunch of partitions listed when I run 'cat /proc/partitions', so I guess my issue might be a little different.

What I'm confused about though, is if the NAND flash is truely dead, how does the bootloader run? Isn't this stored on the same NAND flash chip? Also, aren't the lock state and tamper flags on the same chip? If so, how are these still accessible, but not writeable? I'm guessing it's not a complete failure, but only a partial one... Thoughts?
Can you post the outpot for the cat /proc/partitions command?

sir_earl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
I know Samsung refuse warranty on modification but I don't think Google do. It is a developer phone after all.
I'm not sure if the process is different here in New Zealand. I was under the impression LG deals with warranty issues here, and Google isn't involved?

sir_earl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
Can you post the outpot for the cat /proc/partitions command?
I'll have to take a photo, as I can't find any way to run adb or save the log off. Give me a minute!

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_earl View Post
I'll have to take a photo, as I can't find any way to run adb or save the log off. Give me a minute!
you can do the whole thing with adb from your pc.
you need the naked usb drivers for that, and if you running windows 8 or 8.1 you have to turn off driver signiture enforcement inorder to isntall the drivers.
and then with adb shell command you can use your cmd window on the pc as a terminal window on your phone