Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,279 Members 52,044 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 doesn't boot to recovery

Tip us?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,423
if you take an official ota or manually flash an official update, you will lose root and your recovery, period. this has always been this way since day 1. you can always flash a prerooted stock rom usually hours after the ota is releaded, theres on available. or, you can take an ota or manually flash the official update. the stock rooted rom you can flash dirty and not lose any info, it usually takes 3-4 minutes. an ota or manual official update will take your root and custom recovery away. at that point all you have to do is reflash your recovery then flash the latest supersu in that recovery. that is all. theres no need to make it any more complicated.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
if you take an official ota or manually flash an official update, you will lose root and your recovery, period. this has always been this way since day 1. you can always flash a prerooted stock rom usually hours after the ota is releaded, theres on available. or, you can take an ota or manually flash the official update. the stock rooted rom you can flash dirty and not lose any info, it usually takes 3-4 minutes. an ota or manual official update will take your root and custom recovery away. at that point all you have to do is reflash your recovery then flash the latest supersu in that recovery. that is all. theres no need to make it any more complicated.
Hi is on 100% stock since he got his phone. For some reason the recovery got corrupted during the last ota update to 4.4.3. He didnt want root or unlock bootloader just to reflash the recovery, then go back to 100% stock again and install back all the apps. So, I came up with a solution which flashes back the stock recovery without wipe, root, and unlocking bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maschenazi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Bitdomo, you were quicker to answer, but you are absolutely right.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
Hi is on 100% stock since he got his phone. For some reason the recovery got corrupted during the last ota update to 4.4.3. He didnt want root or unlock bootloader just to reflash the recovery, then go back to 100% stock again and install back all the apps. So, I came up with a solution which flashes back the stock recovery without wipe, root, and unlocking bootloader.
ahh.. then i read it wrong. my apologies. good luck.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maschenazi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Thumbs up ! Resolved !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitdomo View Post
I am at home now!

Download this and extract it.
Do the Preparation part from here. Note: to make LG flashtool work, you have to copy the MegaLock.dll from the crack folder to C:\LG\LGFlashTool. Skip the part where I ask you to download DLL and Firmware, because we are going to use the dll, and the firmware from the recovery.rar.
Now move on to the Flashing the firmware part. As DLL you have to select LGUP_8974.dll from the recovery folder, and as S/W you have to select the recovery.tot file from the recovery folder. Ensure that UPGRADE DL is selected in the Action Mode section.
Click on OK, then click on the yellow arrow to start the process. Reconnect your device (unplug and plug it again) when you see the READY!! text at COM41.
Now here comes the part where you have to be careful. After the reconnection make sure you press the volumde_down buttom until the flashing process finishes and the phone restarts to fastboot, or every user data on your phone will be wiped (download apps, every file on your sdcard).
When you are in fastboot, select reboot recovery and lets see what happens.

After the flashing please open 8974_COM41.log file which are in the LOG folder, where the DLL and the recovery.tot are, and search for this text: device factory version
If device factory version is LGD821AT-00-V10b-NXS-XX-OCT-31-2013-KRT16M-USER-16G+0, then we are okay. If it is not then, tell the correct device factory version, and I will modify the recovery.tot to use your original device factory version in order to restore it.
Thanks a lot. Managed to flash the recovery without unlocking my phone and without factory reset.
I successfully side-loaded KTU84P 4.4.4 update from recovery. Everything looks OK.
Cheers

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschenazi View Post
Thanks a lot. Managed to flash the recovery without unlocking my phone and without factory reset.
I successfully side-loaded KTU84P 4.4.4 update from recovery. Everything looks OK.
Cheers
I am happy to hear.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
The Following User Says Thank You to bitdomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]