Nexus 5 extremely slow and stutter from boot after screen replacement

Search This thread

RedMaio

Jun 26, 2014
Florence
Hi, I replaced myself the screen (preassembled screen+digitizer+frame). After the replacement everything worked perfectly for like two hours when i rebooted it, from then on it is extremely laggy and stutters from boot animation, and when I press the power button (or when the screen shuts down), the phone itself shut down. In bootloader it doesn't seem to have problems.
I checked every connection inside the device (I've disassembled ad reassembled it several times).. thinking of a software problem, I've flashed marshmallow stock rom frist, and kitkat 4.4.4 then... but it's the same with any factory image.
Maybe I damaged something on the mainboard?

I also made a video to explain the problem:

with a lot of patience I set up a google account and downloaded cpu-z to see if maybe temperature sensor where giving wrong information to the system, but they're fine and everything seems to work propely aside from the stutter.

thanks to anyone who will help me, I'm almost giving up

soupysoup

Jun 13, 2013
norwich
Hi, I replaced myself the screen (preassembled screen+digitizer+frame). After the replacement everything worked perfectly for like two hours when i rebooted it, from then on it is extremely laggy and stutters from boot animation, and when I press the power button (or when the screen shuts down), the phone itself shut down. In bootloader it doesn't seem to have problems.
I checked every connection inside the device (I've disassembled ad reassembled it several times).. thinking of a software problem, I've flashed marshmallow stock rom frist, and kitkat 4.4.4 then... but it's the same with any factory image.

with a lot of patience I set up a google account and downloaded cpu-z to see if maybe temperature sensor where giving wrong information to the system, but they're fine and everything seems to work propely aside from the stutter.

It's probably touch lag from the new screen, u probably got a bad one, contact who sold it to u, get a new one

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedMaio

RedMaio

Jun 26, 2014
Florence
It's probably touch lag from the new screen, u probably got a bad one, contact who sold it to u, get a new one

I thought of that, but the fact that the haptic feedback (like the one you have entering app drawer, or returning home) is perfectly sync without lags made me think the touch was ok... and even twrp recovery was working smoothly (coudn't show in the video since I factory flashed kitkat)

soupysoup

Jun 13, 2013
norwich
I thought of that, but the fact that the haptic feedback (like the one you have entering app drawer, or returning home) is perfectly sync without lags made me think the touch was ok... and even twrp recovery was working smoothly (coudn't show in the video since I factory flashed kitkat)
What about stock Marshmallow?

soupysoup

Jun 13, 2013
norwich
That's very strange indeed, OK so try this, go into developer setting and check disable HW overlays, and check force GPU rendering, this will make the phone use the GPU for UI stuff, possibly fixing ur studdar, let me kno

RedMaio

Jun 26, 2014
Florence
That's very strange indeed, OK so try this, go into developer setting and check disable HW overlays, and check force GPU rendering, this will make the phone use the GPU for UI stuff, possibly fixing ur studdar, let me kno

OK, I've just tried... can't tell any differences.
I was thinking that the main way to solve this could be to investigate on the fact that turning off the display (both with power button or by itself after 30sec), shuts down the entire device. Could this be an hardware failure? (maybe generated by a physical damage that I caused)

thank you BTW

soupysoup

Jun 13, 2013
norwich
OK, I've just tried... can't tell any differences.
I was thinking that the main way to solve this could be to investigate on the fact that turning off the display (both with power button or by itself after 30sec), shuts down the entire device. Could this be an hardware failure? (maybe generated by a physical damage that I caused)

thank you BTW
That's very weird, what did u replace, and how did u do the replace, did u do the frame as well, and when u took the batt out did it come out easy it did u fight with it, I've heard cases of this happening, and other issues caused by damaging the battery during a fix

PS, no problem man, I know exactly how u feel lol

RedMaio

Jun 26, 2014
Florence
That's very weird, what did u replace, and how did u do the replace, did u do the frame as well, and when u took the batt out did it come out easy it did u fight with it, I've heard cases of this happening, and other issues caused by damaging the battery during a fix

PS, no problem man, I know exactly how u feel lol

I bought a pre-assembled frame-display-touch. The battery came out easily even if I slightly forced it in the bottom. Anyway before replacement the battery was completely discharged... it has been completely discharged for almost two months since I broke the lcd in September. Left the phone disassembled on the desk for two days. After reassemble I plugged in a 2A Samsung charger to fill it up... initially everything was working properly, made a few photos with both cameras to check, a call and some random checks.. still on charge. On the second call I made, the microphone stopped working, so was the third... turned off the device, back on and everything was messed up like it is now.

Well a battery failure could actually make sense...

Inviato dal mio SM-T805 utilizzando Tapatalk

pyroxine

Apr 5, 2011
hey i have exactly the same problem with my nexus 5, i haven't opened it neither changed battery or screen but i'm suffering the same issue since a few days ago. have you managed to find a fix?. in my case it just started to do that suddenly. as in the video is totally unusable, i reinstalled latest stock firmware throught the recovery menu but with no luck, everything is ultra slow now :(

I bought a pre-assembled frame-display-touch. The battery came out easily even if I slightly forced it in the bottom. Anyway before replacement the battery was completely discharged... it has been completely discharged for almost two months since I broke the lcd in September. Left the phone disassembled on the desk for two days. After reassemble I plugged in a 2A Samsung charger to fill it up... initially everything was working properly, made a few photos with both cameras to check, a call and some random checks.. still on charge. On the second call I made, the microphone stopped working, so was the third... turned off the device, back on and everything was messed up like it is now.

Well a battery failure could actually make sense...

Inviato dal mio SM-T805 utilizzando Tapatalk

RedMaio

Jun 26, 2014
Florence
hey i have exactly the same problem with my nexus 5, i haven't opened it neither changed battery or screen but i'm suffering the same issue since a few days ago. have you managed to find a fix?. in my case it just started to do that suddenly. as in the video is totally unusable, i reinstalled latest stock firmware throught the recovery menu but with no luck, everything is ultra slow now :(

I didn't fix it eventually... but from my experience in fixing PCs, I believe that it could actually be a power issue related to either the battery or some power circuit.

If you've nothing to lose and some dollars to spend, you could try a new battery and see if it works!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.