Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is your Nexus 5 still fresh?

OP HankB

15th May 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

23 posts
By fresh, I mean would you still buy it today or would you look for something more current?

My Verizon contract is up in about a month and I'm hankering to replace my Droid RAZR MAXX ASP. It no longer feels fresh. It's running an older Jelly Bean (4.1.2) and is quite the dog. Web pages load so slowly that the screen frequently turns off before the page displays. Moto/Verizon have decided not to upgrade it further though I suspect it might benefit from performance improvements in more recent versions. :-/

My usage is low, consisting of a less than 200MB data, about 100 minutes of voice and a handful of texts typical per month. (Data will go up the month we're on vacation when I'm away from normal WiFi hot spots.) Verizon has nothing for me (New contract would involve more money for less service. However the service levels are moot if I'm not even coming close to my limits.)

For reasons of performance and availability of upgrades I want to go with a Google Experience phone. Because of my usage patterns, I'm leaning toward a month by month provider such as Ting. (They resell Sprint voice/data and voice roams to Verizon at no additional charge.) The choice today is the Nexus 5. It' been out since November of last year and the next (and perhaps last) Nexus seems likely to be released November of this year. The Nexus 5 seems like it has decent specs with 2GB RAM and a quad core processor. (But I thought the same of the Droid RAZR with 1GB RAM and dual core processor.) I'm curious what folks who own and use the Nexus 5 think about its future longevity.

Another option I have is to buy a used phone to bridge the time between Verizon cutoff and availability of the Nexus 6. I could also sell the Nexus 5 when the Nexus 6 becomes available, I suppose.
Last edited by HankB; 15th May 2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo in title
15th May 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 168

369 posts
More
The Nexus 5 is still a perfect good phone. The GPE Galaxy S5 might arguably be "fresher," but for the money, the Nexus 5 is hard to beat.

Of course, you could stick with Verizon on month-to-month until the Nexus 6 (or whatever they call it) comes out, but if you're looking to jump today, the Nexus 5 is still a great device.
The Following User Says Thank You to jt3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3

The Nexus 5 is still a perfect good phone. The GPE Galaxy S5 might arguably be "fresher," but for the money, the Nexus 5 is hard to beat.

Of course, you could stick with Verizon on month-to-month until the Nexus 6 (or whatever they call it) comes out, but if you're looking to jump today, the Nexus 5 is still a great device.

Thanks for the tip on the GPe S5. It seems to be rumored but not yet announced. The GPe S4 is $650 =8-O I'm not convinced it is that much better than the Nexus 5. Ting does list the regular S5 for $597 but that includes Samsung's bloatware (some of which I'm sure I'd find useful) and updates at their discretion.

I might ask Verizon one more time about month by month options at contract expiration. I could also use my Droid X on BYO for the time being. Maybe I could find a Verizon MVNO who could use my RAZR MAXX.
16th May 2014, 01:07 AM   |  #4  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,869

13,383 posts
More
For the price, nothing beats the nexus 5.

Unless you just run stock and gravity box say....then maybe the Moto x. Tho, you need one that the boot loader can be unlocked. On Verizon, that's the Dev edition.

Comparing to phones twice the price is apples to oranges. Tho the N5 does still stand up to those phones too.
Last edited by Darth; 16th May 2014 at 01:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #5  
Flag Vegas & Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 630

8,273 posts
More
Nexus5 is worth every flash and more...
The Following User Says Thank You to galaxys For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #6  
Flag HENDERSONVILLE
Thanks Meter: 1,956

3,226 posts
More
Nexus ftw!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to CRIME INC. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 109

914 posts
Nexus or one plus one of you don't mind the size.
The Following User Says Thank You to frigidazzi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,589

3,956 posts
More
As fresh as this guy

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #9  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor