Nexus 5 Getting Hot

Tip us?

TheShadowFaller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation Nexus 5 Getting Hot

Hey guys

I was just playing gta san andreas (best game) and the phone was getting really warm to the touch. The back part of the phone where my fingers are resting getting seriously warm (nearly hot) and i was getting worried so i closed the game. I checked the temp of the battery and it was 43 degrees celcius. (109.4 fahrenheit). Is this ok?

note: the phone is naked (no case + screen protector).

simms22
Old
(Last edited by simms22; 22nd December 2013 at 06:40 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowFaller View Post
Hey guys

I was just playing gta san andreas (best game) and the phone was getting really warm to the touch. The back part of the phone where my fingers are resting getting seriously warm (nearly hot) and i was getting worried so i closed the game. I checked the temp of the battery and it was 43 degrees celcius. (109.4 fahrenheit). Is this ok?

note: the phone is naked (no case + screen protector).
you do realize that the average human body temp is 37C, a little under your cpu temp? its quite normal for the phone to get even warmer than yours when playing games, especially gpu intensive games. the phones safety shutdown temp is 100C, so youve got some ways to go.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheShadowFaller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
you do realize that the average human body temp is 37C, a little under your cpu temp? its quite normal for the phone to get even warmer than yours when pkaying games, especially gpu intensive games. the phones safety shutdown temp is 100C, so youve got some ways to go.

jeez thanks bud. this is actually my first andriod phone so i was just a little curious. thanks for the clarification.

simms22
Old
(Last edited by simms22; 22nd December 2013 at 08:27 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowFaller View Post
jeez thanks bud. this is actually my first andriod phone so i was just a little curious. thanks for the clarification.
cool.
its a quad core phone, so when all four cores are active, and the gpu is being pushed, heat is expected. if your not rooted with thermal throttle off, then at 70C(if i remember right) the phone will automatically throttle because of the temp. itll reduce cpu speed to cool off the phone. if you do have root, disabling thermel throttle is always an option. then it wont reduce cpu speed. but if tou do hit the safety shutdown temp of 100C, the phone will shut diwn automatically. this is very rare. really, you need to try to get to 100C to reach it, otherwise its very rare.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CyberScopes
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1389
Is 46 degrees dangerous? My phone goes to around 43-46 degrees while playing asphalt 8.

Sent from my GN5 [D821]
SimpleX | X-Scope | Candy | Candy Sweetener | CandyShop

Device Info >>

Device > Google Nexus 5
Device Version > D821
Android Version > 4.4.2
Rom > CandyKat
Kernel > Elemental X CM

Device > Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY
Device Version > R800i
Android Version > 4.0.4
Rom > NexPlay
Kernel > NexPlay Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberScopes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dop3KinG
Old
Thanks Meter 7
no
The Following User Says Thank You to Dop3KinG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PhilipL
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScopes View Post
Is 46 degrees dangerous? My phone goes to around 43-46 degrees while playing asphalt 8.

Sent from my GN5 [D821]
It isn't dangerous, no.

It isn't ideal as lithium batteries hate the warm. Think of lithium batteries being perishable foods, they prefer the cold, in fact for long term storage they are kept in refrigerators.

If the phone was at these temperatures 24/7 then the battery would quickly deteriorate and run-times would take a dive, but for a few hours a day it is unlikely to make much difference considering most people replace these phones after a couple of years anyway.

Regards

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilipL For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

McMackson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How to disable throttling on Nexus 5? Seems this phone throttles more than other due to LG settings.

varuntis1993
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
cool.
its a quad core phone, so when all four cores are active, and the gpu is being pushed, heat is expected. if your not rooted with thermal throttle off, then at 70C(if i remember right) the phone will automatically throttle because of the temp. itll reduce cpu speed to cool off the phone. if you do have root, disabling thermel throttle is always an option. then it wont reduce cpu speed. but if tou do hit the safety shutdown temp of 100C, the phone will shut diwn automatically. this is very rare. really, you need to try to get to 100C to reach it, otherwise its very rare.
hey is there any way to turn off the thermal throttling without changing the kernel?....I m on stock kernel but the phone is rooted