5,604,859 Members 33,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 Google Wallet Australia

Tip us?

rileyg98
Old
(Last edited by rileyg98; 7th December 2013 at 10:03 AM.) Reason: Put in wrong section, requesting move.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 Google Wallet Australia

Hi,
This is my first post and I'd like to try and see if this might be able to help someone else in the same position as I am. I really want to use the Google Wallet app in Australia on my new Nexus 5. I've managed to get the app to work, and it shows a message saying "This is not available in your country. Change your home address if you've moved." I've managed to change my account to a Google one with no home address attached, and it decided to play nice and let me through using this method. I'm going to set it up with a new Google account that I can just bin if it doesn't work, and see how it goes on Tuesday, when I go out next. Does anyone know if this is doomed to fail or if I should try it?
To activate the Wallet app (I'm not sure if it was already when the phone was fresh out of the box) I found an APK on the net somewhere (I would advise not doing this, I was lucky to find a good version) and installed it as an update to Wallet. I then was able to choose an account when activating it. This was all I did, and it doesn't care that I am in Australia. I'll tell you guys how it goes.
EDIT: Sorry, I put this in the incorrect section. May someone move it for me? I can't find how to delete my post.

rileyg98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default roadblock

So I just tried to add my MasterCard to Wallet. Adding through the app worked, but when I went and properly added it with my Australian address (had to try) Wallet now considers it an "invalid card", which is really not surprising. Looks like I've hit a dead end until I can pick up a prepaid Visa (the Mastercard is a prepaid one and is about to expire) from Australia Post.

PaisanNYC
Old
Thanks Meter 289
You can also add Play Store gift cards to your online Wallet account, and it should show up as available funds in your wallet app for Tap & Pay. I don't think they sell the physical cards outside of the U.S., but I found this:

http://www.offgamers.com/buy/googleplaygiftcard.html

rileyg98
Old
(Last edited by rileyg98; 8th December 2013 at 12:21 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wallet Balance

Thanks for that, but do you know of an actual link to put the card code into? I looked into it and Google seemed to say that Play Store balance wasn't able to be used as Wallet balance, but I'd just like some clarification on that.
EDIT: Oh, also, we can get cards here too, just not sure if they'll work with Wallet as my account is classed as a US one.

rileyg98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Declined

Well I've hit a bit of a dead end for now. I got my prepaid Visa from the post office today, put the details into Wallet and it even accepted it. However, when I tested it in a local shop Wallet decided to decline it with an error message of "International transactions are not yet supported." Unless anyone here knows how to bypass that through some way, I guess it just won't work until it officially comes to Australia.