Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Nexus 5 heavy thermal throttling in Antutu

OP paul_59

3rd November 2013, 01:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 87

350 posts
More
I know that some will say that "real use" performance is what matters, however I am disappointed that my Nexus 5 gets substantially lower Antutu scores than all other Snapdragon 800 powered phones, which all seem to achieve scores above 30000.

My Nexus 5 has scored less than my HTC One which has Snapdragon 600.

I rooted my Nexus and ran Trickster mod to monitor the CPU load, CPU temp and CPU clock frequency.

I found that the standard kernel starts to throttle Snapdragon 800 SOC on Nexus 5 at 63C, initially dropping to 1958 MHz (from 2265 MHz maximum) , then as temperature continued to rise up to maximum of 69C it throttled further, 1728 MHz, and eventually dropping CPU to 1036 MHz.

Trickster mod doesn't display GPU clock rate on Nexus 5 standard kernel so I don't know if GPU is also throttling, however with such aggressive CPU throttling it does impact performance including video frame rates significantly.

What are your experience with this matter ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to paul_59 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2013, 02:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 142

971 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_59

I know that some will say that "real use" performance is what matters, however I am disappointed that my Nexus 5 gets substantially lower Antutu scores than all other Snapdragon 800 powered phones, which all seem to achieve scores above 30000.

My Nexus 5 has scored less than my HTC One which has Snapdragon 600.

I rooted my Nexus and ran Trickster mod to monitor the CPU load, CPU temp and CPU clock frequency.

I found that the standard kernel starts to throttle Snapdragon 800 SOC on Nexus 5 at 63C, initially dropping to 1958 MHz (from 2265 MHz maximum) , then as temperature continued to rise up to maximum of 69C it throttled further, 1728 MHz, and eventually dropping CPU to 1036 MHz.

Trickster mod doesn't display GPU clock rate on Nexus 5 standard kernel so I don't know if GPU is also throttling, however with such aggressive CPU throttling it does impact performance including video frame rates significantly.

What are your experience with this matter ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Not got my N5 yet, but this is disappointing :-/
3rd November 2013, 02:58 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 92

336 posts
More
Just wait for the custom kernels to start rolling in.
3rd November 2013, 03:04 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 102

456 posts
More
that is no good News!

but we have to find out if that is in any way related to the quality of the cpu you got.
you know that cpu binning thingmim thinking of. maybe you gut very Bad luck and the worst Type of cpu that there is when it comes to snapdragon 800.
3rd November 2013, 03:35 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 46

72 posts

Feel free to check out my antutu benchmark section (after the power on test) of the video and the 3dmark section (at the end) to see what happens. 3dmark doesnt throttle it seems, but antutu definitely does.
3rd November 2013, 03:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Charlottesville
Thanks Meter: 56

350 posts
More
You DO know that most manufacturers cheat on benchmarks, right?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/s...oid-benchmarks
3rd November 2013, 04:14 PM   |  #7  
Flag Near Versailles - France
Thanks Meter: 22

109 posts
More
Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexktz

Feel free to check out my antutu benchmark section (after the power on test) of the video and the 3dmark section (at the end) to see what happens. 3dmark doesnt throttle it seems, but antutu definitely does.

Love the 'Maxed Out!" score on the 3D Mark Extreme test for the Nexus 5 ! xD
That's quite impressive, whatever the Antutu score may be

But, does the phone gets hot when performing benchmarks ? Is it the reason why it throttles on Antutu ? Or maybe just a software issue
3rd November 2013, 04:16 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 46

72 posts
The g2 got hot on the buttons at the back and the other phones all get warm to the touch but nothing that you would expect to create a thermal incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3rd November 2013, 04:20 PM   |  #9  
Flag Near Versailles - France
Thanks Meter: 22

109 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexktz

The g2 got hot on the buttons at the back and the other phones all get warm to the touch but nothing that you would expect to create a thermal incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right ^^' No problem with a bit of heat, that's absolutly normal. But I'd like to be able to touch my phone while playing that's it x)

Waiting for my Nexus 5 32go/white with an ooooold Optimus 2x
3rd November 2013, 05:42 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 104

962 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxk3vi17

You DO know that most manufacturers cheat on benchmarks, right?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/s...oid-benchmarks

They do. But point here is not cheating but thermal throttle.
However, coming from a s4, you can raise the thermal limit when custom kernel comes out. I remember thernal throtttle on s4 was like 68 or 70.. Raised the thermal throttle to 100, no problem.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread