Why does the Nexus 5 does not have an infrared blaster?

Search This thread

tengaionis

Dec 8, 2013
First of all:
I know - the Nexus 5 is meant to be inexpensive and for development.
But that's the point. Controlling your TV or other IR-controlled devices is an awesome feature. (Come on, who does not have a TV or similar at home?)
I even would say that IR is more important than the NFC feature but that's different in everyone's opinion.

Why do you guys think Google did not take the step. REALLY COST reasons? Or because they think, that it is not needed by enough people - which IMHO is nonsense since there are more people with TVs than people with NFC-tags or people using them. :D

I'm really interested in your guys' opinions! :)

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
IR blasters come and go out of fashion...

my 2006 Windows Mobile devices had IR blasters

then android/iphone came in, IR blasters went out of fashion till roughly 2013?

I'm fine with them cutting cost by excluding IR blaster

NFC = for remote payment, if google think that's more important(google wallet) for their long term strategy

cbatiste1993

Jun 24, 2012
Missouri City
IR blasters come and go out of fashion...

my 2006 Windows Mobile devices had IR blasters

then android/iphone came in, IR blasters went out of fashion till roughly 2013?

I'm fine with them cutting cost by excluding IR blaster

NFC = for remote payment, if google think that's more important(google wallet) for their long term strategy

I agree completely, NFC for mobile payment is much more important for Google. Besides, if you have a Chromecast you won't miss IR blasters :)

tengaionis

Dec 8, 2013
I agree completely, NFC for mobile payment is much more important for Google. Besides, if you have a Chromecast you won't miss IR blasters :)

Payment is in many countries - like Austria, where I live - simply not possible...very unfortunate though.
Still I believe that infrared has its point. TVs are IR-controlled nearly since their invention.^^ How are the odds, that remote controls come out of fashion the next 10 years? :D

Last edited:

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
Y'know, I thought that the IR blaster on my GS4 was awesome until I realized that I never, ever used it.

That said, there have been 1 or 2 times that my kids have done something with the remote and I wished my N5 had one. Oh well - not a dealbreaker by any means.

McMackson

Oct 23, 2012
Google probably has to give up some things in order for LG to agree to build the phone. For example, LG G2 has an IR blaster. LG doesn't want the Nexus 5 to "be better" than their own flagship, the G2.

That's one interpretation of it. Whether it makes sense for just the IR blaster here, I don't know. But the OEM that Google cooperates with to build their yearly Nexus does not want the Nexus to be better than their own flagship, I am very sure of that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I had my SG4, I used the IR feature once.

It really was easier to just use a remote.