Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,293 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 can I install 32gb SD card on my 16gb version?

Tip us?

nikssims
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 can I install 32gb SD card on my 16gb version?

So, if I buy a 32 GB SD card original from 32gb version of nexus 5, can I install it on my nexus 5? Or the SD card is built into the motherboard and is non removable?

wulsic
Old
(Last edited by wulsic; 16th August 2014 at 09:57 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikssims View Post
So, if I buy a 32 GB SD card original from 32gb version of nexus 5, can I install it on my nexus 5? Or the SD card is built into the motherboard and is non removable?
The sdcard is actually flash memory i believe and no its non removable. You rather buy the whole motherboard from 32gb version and replace it with yours since replacing only the flash memory is pretty hard and if you have accidently bought an empty flash memory then you still cant do anything.

The only way to expand your 16gb is to use an sdcard reader like meenova and an kernel which also have support for the sdcard thing to automatically mount it etc so you can use it like an normal micro sdcard in the most other phones.
Devices History
Htc Elf-Htc Google Nexus One-LG Optimus 2X-Samsung Galaxy S2-LG Nexus4

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
"The greatest ideas are the simplest." William Golding
"Simplicity is the art of maximizing the amount of work not done." - Agile Manifesto
"Simplicity is the way a human/developer should think to easily solve problems." - Wulsic

My Work So far
The Following User Says Thank You to wulsic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,599
Not sure if serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

nikssims
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulsic View Post
The sdcard is actually flash memory i believe and no its non removable. You rather buy the whole motherboard from 32gb version and replace it with yours since replacing only the flash memory is pretty hard and if you have accidently bought an empty flash memory then you still cant do anything.

The only way to expand your 16gb is to use an sdcard reader like meenova and an kernel which also have support for the sdcard thing to automatically mount it etc so you can use it like an normal micro sdcard in the most other phones.
OK thanks

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
Not sure if serious
Yes. He thinks it has an SD card built in. Its actually eMMC though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Yes. He thinks it has an SD card built in. Its actually eMMC though

Might as well just buy multiple 32gb Nexus 5s instead of trying to replace it lol, the cost/effort isn't worth it. Of course you can just replace the whole board too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
Might as well just buy multiple 32gb Nexus 5s instead of trying to replace it lol, the cost/effort isn't worth it. Of course you can just replace the whole board too.
Yup

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.