Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,853 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 (KitKat 4.4.2) is Stuck in Safe Mode

Tip us?

AbstractDuc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Nexus 5 (KitKat 4.4.2) is Stuck in Safe Mode

After I restarted my Nexus 5 (Kitkat 4.4.2) phone after a flight yesterday, it only starts in "Safe Mode."

On the boot screen, I cannot select any other option by hitting "volume down" button (default selection is 1st in the list). Also, once the phone starts, the "volume down" button doesn't work. Therefore, I am thinking my "volume up" button is stuck. Which explains why the phone doesn't start in normal mode and gives me the boot screen (On/off switch with volume-up button).

To my surprise, once my phone starts I noticed following behavior.
(1) Pressed volume up button. On screen volume slider shows up and volume goes to max.
(2) I decreased the volume via "on screen" slider (not through volume down button).
(3) If volume up button was "stuck," as I thought, as soon as I let go the slider on the screen, volume should start increasing again. But it doesn't. Therefore, I am guessing, it might not be a button hardware issue.

Note: I tried the aforementioned three steps with my wife's Nexus 5 and on Nexus 7 by continuously holding down the volume up button. In step-3, as I expect, volume does start going up, as soon as I release the slider on screen.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 511

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractDuc View Post
After I restarted my Nexus 5 (Kitkat 4.4.2) phone after a flight yesterday, it only starts in "Safe Mode."

On the boot screen, I cannot select any other option by hitting "volume down" button (default selection is 1st in the list). Also, once the phone starts, the "volume down" button doesn't work. Therefore, I am thinking my "volume up" button is stuck. Which explains why the phone doesn't start in normal mode and gives me the boot screen (On/off switch with volume-up button).

To my surprise, once my phone starts I noticed following behavior.
(1) Pressed volume up button. On screen volume slider shows up and volume goes to max.
(2) I decreased the volume via "on screen" slider (not through volume down button).
(3) If volume up button was "stuck," as I thought, as soon as I let go the slider on the screen, volume should start increasing again. But it doesn't. Therefore, I am guessing, it might not be a button hardware issue.

Note: I tried the aforementioned three steps with my wife's Nexus 5 and on Nexus 7 by continuously holding down the volume up button. In step-3, as I expect, volume does start going up, as soon as I release the slider on screen.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.
I would test this by (backing up ROM first) flashing another ROM (maybe stock based) and test to see if issue persists. If not problem anymore, then it was ROM/software issue, try reflashing stock/ROM currently on to fix issue. If you flash and problem persists, then probably a hardware issue that may have to be returned for exchange through Google.
From the depths, the light is all you see.... Life's Good in QHD.

LG G3 - Stock - No Root (yet...)
Samsung S5 - Stock Deodexed - Root
Google Nexus 5 - Liquid Smooth - Root

Don't Forget to Hit the THANKS if I Helped!
The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AbstractDuc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
I would test this by (backing up ROM first) flashing another ROM (maybe stock based) and test to see if issue persists. If not problem anymore, then it was ROM/software issue, try reflashing stock/ROM currently on to fix issue. If you flash and problem persists, then probably a hardware issue that may have to be returned for exchange through Google.

I did the factory reset. Unfortunately, it did not work.
Since I will not be able to select options via volume up/down button on the Bootloader screen, I am not sure whether I can flash another ROM.

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 511

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractDuc View Post
I did the factory reset. Unfortunately, it did not work.
Since I will not be able to select options via volume up/down button on the Bootloader screen, I am not sure whether I can flash another ROM.
Try Flashify or Mobile Odin to flash a touch based recovery (ie. clockworkmod with touch option .img file from website or TWRP) and boot to recovery via the app (ie CWM app boot to recovery or the goo manager app, which ever recovery you install). That should allow you to flash and avoid the need to use the volume keys.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AbstractDuc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
Try Flashify or Mobile Odin to flash a touch based recovery (ie. clockworkmod with touch option .img file from website or TWRP) and boot to recovery via the app (ie CWM app boot to recovery or the goo manager app, which ever recovery you install). That should allow you to flash and avoid the need to use the volume keys.
This sounded a bit out of my comfort zone, so I called Google and explained the issue. Google is replacing my phone.

The call took less than 3 minutes. I received an email within 2 minutes with a link to place a replacement order, along with documents for returning old phone. Since I can return my phone after I receive a new one, I will not have any downtime.

Thank you for your help, RevelationOmega.

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 511

DONATE TO ME
Very welcome. Good luck with new phone.

The end is near, into the Nexus we go!

Nexus 5 - Cataclysm - ART - Franco

Don't Forget to Hit the Thanks if I Helped!