FORUMS

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

New Android One Device Dead On Arrival

Today, Google announced the second generation of Android One devices, with the new Lava Pixel … more

OnePlus 2 Leaked, Actually Prettier Than Expected

The OnePlus 2 launch event is mere hours away, and we have been treated to clear, … more

[Q] Nexus 5 most likely hardbricked what do I do? Please help

79 posts
Thanks Meter: 7
 
By michaelsplus, Member on 1st June 2014, 10:58 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I think my nexus 5 is hardbricked doing a paanodandroid ota update
This happened on latest paranoid android + latest franco kernel + TWRP

I wanted to update pa gapps (first 2 downloads md5 checksum failed, third time it worked) and when the phone booted afterwards, systemui failed and I couldn't do anything. I Thought this wasn't a big problem since the phone managed to boot. I long pressed the power button to shut it down so I could boot into recovery to restore my backup I had recently made. When I tried to boot into recovery it wouldn't do anything. Not boot into recovery and not into fastboot. How is this even possible by simply flashing gapps?

What should I do?
I've tried all the button combinations for more than 15 seconds.
 
 
1st June 2014, 11:18 PM |#2  
kevtrysmoddin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 869
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsplus

I think my nexus 5 is hardbricked doing a paanodandroid ota update
This happened on latest paranoid android + latest franco kernel + TWRP

I wanted to update pa gapps (first 2 downloads md5 checksum failed, third time it worked) and when the phone booted afterwards, systemui failed and I couldn't do anything. I Thought this wasn't a big problem since the phone managed to boot. I long pressed the power button to shut it down so I could boot into recovery to restore my backup I had recently made. When I tried to boot into recovery it wouldn't do anything. Not boot into recovery and not into fastboot. How is this even possible by simply flashing gapps?

What should I do?
I've tried all the button combinations for more than 15 seconds.

Have you tried powering it on again mine sometimes won't bit straight away after long pressing power button but works after 5-10 mins

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kevtrysmoddin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 11:21 PM |#3  
michaelsplus's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtrysmoddin

Have you tried powering it on again mine sometimes won't bit straight away after long pressing power button but works after 5-10 mins

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes I've tried it a few times already the last 45 minutes
1st June 2014, 11:22 PM |#4  
kevtrysmoddin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 869
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsplus

Yes I've tried it a few times already the last 45 minutes

I take it that it doesn't respond in any way to the charger or p.c.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
1st June 2014, 11:24 PM |#5  
michaelsplus's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtrysmoddin

I take it that it doesn't respond in any way to the charger or p.c.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Indeed it doesn't . The pc only recognizes it's an unknown usb device
1st June 2014, 11:28 PM |#6  
kevtrysmoddin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 869
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsplus

Indeed it doesn't . The pc only recognizes it's an unknown usb device

You could have a faulty memory issue

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kevtrysmoddin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 11:43 PM |#7  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,874
 
Donate to Me
More
So, at this point it doesn't boot at all? Do you have a link to the gapps you flashed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
1st June 2014, 11:45 PM |#8  
OverSpeed301's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Toulouse
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsplus

Indeed it doesn't . The pc only recognizes it's an unknown usb device

If you plug the N5 when he's off, do you see any led?
1st June 2014, 11:59 PM |#9  
michaelsplus's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

So, at this point it doesn't boot at all? Do you have a link to the gapps you flashed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

It doesn't boot at all no.
It was downloaded through the paranoid android OTA app. It was the 20140531 version: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverSpeed301

If you plug the N5 when he's off, do you see any led?

No. No activity whatsoever.
2nd June 2014, 12:13 AM |#10  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,874
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsplus

It doesn't boot at all no.
It was downloaded through the paranoid android OTA app. It was the 20140531 version: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps


No. No activity whatsoever.

I think it was just a coincidence that it failed after flashing gapps. I'd RMA it. Sounds like the emmc went bad. It's happened on a few n5's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 12:17 AM |#11  
michaelsplus's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

I think it was just a coincidence that it failed after flashing gapps. I'd RMA it. Sounds like the emmc went bad. It's happened on a few n5's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Will they help me out when the bootloader was unlocked and a custom rom and kernel installed?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes