FORUMS

[Q] Line In Recording

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By loyukfai, Junior Member on 2nd December 2013, 05:48 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Is it possible to use the 3.5mm jack on the Nexus 5 as an input source for recording?

Like connecting it to a guitar.

Thanks in advance.

2nd December 2013, 07:12 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I don't know, but would be curious to know the answer.

Do you have a piece of hardware that you could test it with?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
6th December 2013, 07:40 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 174

More
tried but didn't work...

could be a TRS TRRS problem... not sure...

related?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1100322
Last edited by nostupidthing; 6th December 2013 at 07:44 PM.
24th December 2013, 06:02 PM |#4  

More
the n5 is out of my hands right now, can someone test this...? thx in advance.
24th December 2013, 08:29 PM |#5  
Flag Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 249

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai

Is it possible to use the 3.5mm jack on the Nexus 5 as an input source for recording?

Like connecting it to a guitar.

Thanks in advance.

I believe the only way is via USB...but you have to use an app as Android does not build in USB recording as does Windows. I use this app along with a USB interface and a microphone on this phone and my tablet. Works great and the dev is a great guy. He also makes a DAW (there's a free version) for recording and editing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegasden For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2014, 04:23 PM |#6  

More
that's... too bad then. thanks for info but.
18th January 2014, 06:09 PM |#7  

More
btw, any suggestion for usb audio in? or usb mic? thx.
24th January 2014, 01:08 PM |#8  

More
anyone? " _ "
24th January 2014, 01:30 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I use a pair of wired ear buds that have a built in microphone for calls. I'm running CM11 not stock but I just tested and "Sound Recorder" is more than happy to receive its input via the headset jack. I would believe it's just a matter of finding the right converter plug for your guitar.
The Following User Says Thank You to thionylx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2014, 05:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thionylx

I use a pair of wired ear buds that have a built in microphone for calls. I'm running CM11 not stock but I just tested and "Sound Recorder" is more than happy to receive its input via the headset jack. I would believe it's just a matter of finding the right converter plug for your guitar.

I have used ASR for recording, works fine over the headset jack. It is a mono source of course. It won't work with a standard 3.5mm plug of course, you have to have the signal on the microphone portion - which is ground (silence) for the standard plugs.

I used the adapter that came with Dragon Naturally Speaking. It has two 3.5mm stereo plugs to one 3.5mm stereo+mic plug. If you use a 3.5mm stereo cable into the mic side of this adapter it works fine.

You could probably rig up something from Radio Shack, but I didn't have to because this worked, and I don't need the adapter for my computer so it was just sitting in the cord box...
The Following User Says Thank You to tdcrone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 02:51 PM |#11  

More
thanks to everyone who replied, truly.

it seems that there are 2 solutions...

1) usb sound w/dedicated app
2) cable that turns L/R input from TRS tip to M input on TRRS tip

the 3.5mm/trrs/(left/right/ground/mic) socket on the phone should work as tdcrone mentioned above. as long as a 3.5mm stereo+mic adapter available, or a custom cable that turns the original L or R input into M on the output end.

this is by far the simpler solution, **if such cable or adapter is available**, the caveat emptor is that the record will be mono, and there could be mic gain issues...?

otoh, the usb solution works, at the cost of having to get an adapter and apps for android costs.

@Vegasden: i see that both USB audio recorder pro and audio evolution mobile daw seem to work with usb recorder, and the latter one is just marginally more expensive?

edit: sorry, just realise that one also needs to buy usb audio recorder pro if she/he wants to use audio evolution mobile daw to do usb record
Last edited by nostupidthing; 3rd February 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
3.5mm, input, line in, nexus 5, record

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)