XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 Microphone Not Working

Tip us?

fraxture
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 5 Microphone Not Working

My Nexus 5 microphone does not seem to be working while in calls. What is strange is it seems to work jsut fine when used in Skype, suggesting that this is a software issue. Also strange is that when I turn the microphone mute on/off during a call, I can hear that when the microphone is muted there is less fuzzy white noise. Has anyone encountered this issue? Is this a defective device? I've flashed this device with alternative ROMs, and now I've reflashed it with the factory stock ROM. But nothing changes the behavior that I've described.

fraxture
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I discovered another thread on this that seems related to what I am experiencing: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538979

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Have you done anything to the device other than ROM flashing (flashed kernel, MODs, etc)?
Far into the unknown, the Galaxy is all you know.

Samsung S5 - Stock - Rooted

Don't Forget to Hit the Thanks if I Helped!

fraxture
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
Have you done anything to the device other than ROM flashing (flashed kernel, MODs, etc)?
I think the answer to that question is no. I mean, I had also installed various apps and the like.

Javeline4
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxture View Post
My Nexus 5 microphone does not seem to be working while in calls. What is strange is it seems to work jsut fine when used in Skype, suggesting that this is a software issue. Also strange is that when I turn the microphone mute on/off during a call, I can hear that when the microphone is muted there is less fuzzy white noise. Has anyone encountered this issue? Is this a defective device? I've flashed this device with alternative ROMs, and now I've reflashed it with the factory stock ROM. But nothing changes the behavior that I've described.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxture View Post
I think the answer to that question is no. I mean, I had also installed various apps and the like.
Yep, you have the problem many people have encountered with their Nexus 5. I occasionally have this issue. It isn't as bad as when I first got the phone, but the microphone does occasionally go wonky during a call (i.e. callers on the other line say I sound really far away from the phone). The first 2-3 weeks I had the phone people would say all they heard was static while using the microphone (not speakerphone). It works better now, but the static/distant sound persists at times.

The consensus suggests it seems to be a software related issue that Google has not addressed yet.