No registration required

[Q] Nexus 5 + Miracast / Screencast disconnecting

OP nadavn

20th March 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to play with them miracasting dongles for a project I'm working on.

Just got myself a dongle from ebay, seems to work (producing video). However, upon attaching with Screen Cast (under display options) it works for 10-12 seconds and automatically disconnects without reconnecting.

Happened the same with a different Nexus 5 and a Nexus 7.

All devices were rooted, all have stock on them (4.4.2).

I've read somewhere that this issue might happen as part of a DRM mechanism (at Samsung Galaxy devices). When the Flash Counter is bigger than 0' the exact same smypthom happens.

Although I'm stocked, I did flash my phones (had to, they came with 4.4 and I wanted 4.4.2). CWM etc.

Anyone seen this issue? overcame it? couldn't find a lot of details about this in Nexus devices ..
30th March 2014, 07:24 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
anyone?
12th April 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #3  
Flag Germany, Thüringen
Thanks Meter: 143

309 posts
More
I've got a nexus 4 and it's also not working with a Samsung Smart TV. TV says Connected but it cancels before i See anything.

BUT:
I found a way to get miracast working on Nexus 7 (2012) (unoffical) and it works. But here the TV shows me a pin code which i have to enter on the tablet..

Anyone solution? It cant be true that this works unoffically on a device which doesnt support it and doesnt works on a device which supports it...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

I think i know why. WiDi is secured with HDCP, but if you flash your phone, HDCP won't work anymore. So go to Settings → Developer Settings → HDCP checking → Never use HDCP checking. Now it should work (it now works at mine &#128522 good luck

13th April 2014, 10:07 AM   |  #4  
Flag Germany, Thüringen
Thanks Meter: 143

309 posts
More
~ EDIT ~
Install offical AOSP and DONT ROOT and it will work. Miracast/WiDi doen't work on rooted devices.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

* or if your devices are rooted, install TWRP, mount /system, go to Advanced -> File Manager. Then delete /system/app/Superuser.apk (delete supersu / superuser apk file) and rename /system/xbin/su to "sup" or sth. So you don't have to root it again.

13th April 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #5  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 226

592 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXorg

~ EDIT ~
Install offical AOSP and DONT ROOT and it will work. Miracast/WiDi doen't work on rooted devices.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

* or if your devices are rooted, install TWRP, mount /system, go to Advanced -> File Manager. Then delete /system/app/Superuser.apk (delete supersu / superuser apk file) and rename /system/xbin/su to "sup" or sth. So you don't have to root it again.

Sorry, this is inaccurate. Miracast (which is very different from Chromecast) DOES in fact work on rooted devices. I have one in my car (going to my head unit) that's worked just fine on both my nexus 4 and 5 rooted. Maybe Google is using root to try and lock down Chromecast somehow but I'd double check that as well. I think koush's Mirror app may even require it and I believe it works with Chromecast. I'd spindle check that though. But Miracast certainly works with root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread