New Nexus 5 Owner, Stock VS Custom ROM

Search This thread

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
I bought a nexus 5, should arrive this week, to be activated on straight talk. Being a nexus 7 owner, I already know how custom Roms and kernels can help the device be more speedy.

Since the nexus 5 is already a fast device, is a custom ROM really needed? Or would xposed framework modules be sufficient enough along with optimized bionic and dalvik patches.

As for kernels, same question. I don't intend on over clocking, but is there any other advantage?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

zubsz

Nov 4, 2011
Birmingham, UK
I bought a nexus 5, should arrive this week, to be activated on straight talk. Being a nexus 7 owner, I already know how custom Roms and kernels can help the device be more speedy.

Since the nexus 5 is already a fast device, is a custom ROM really needed? Or would xposed framework modules be sufficient enough along with optimized bionic and dalvik patches.

As for kernels, same question. I don't intend on over clocking, but is there any other advantage?

Thanks.

For me I'm happy with stock rooted plus xposed. I removed the optimized bionic and dalvik patches as I couldn't run asphalt 8 without it.

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
I use custom ROM but close to stock as possible, with a custom kernel for additional controls over hardware and xposed Gravity to customize layouts.

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
If you're going to change ROMS for speed, there's honestly no point. The battery, speed, etc, are all great on stock :).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
After getting the device a couple months ago, I was on stock with xposed and franco for the first month. I decided to try out some custom ROMs but ultimately came back to stock. Xposed gives me all the customization I need.

jsgates

Dec 14, 2013
Xpose FTW!

Thanks.

I've had my Nexus 5 for about 2 weeks now. I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S4 that was rooted with Xposed & Wanam Xposed and several other modules. When I came to Nexus 5, I unlocked the bootloader, but haven't flashed any other ROMs yet. I am running stock KitKat with Xposed & GravityBox installed. I am loving it. Also using a few other xposed modules like Crappalinks, etc. Gravitybox does about everything I need and I think I am about to donate to get the newly added "light flow" like features. Great Module!

I am also running the Franco Kernel & have installed the optimized Dalvik & Bionic. Phone is smooth as butter. Of course I'm using the Donation version of Greenify also. I've read up on quite a few Custom ROMs, but right now I don't see any major advantage to flashing one. Gravitybox & other Xposed modules give me all I need. Samsungs Knox & and AT&T's locked bootloader drove me away from the S4. Even though I don't have a custom ROM right, I always have the option if something great comes out. N5 is great because it's so open. Custom Recovery was a big deal for me also. TWRP all the way! Good luck with the phone when it arrives. You are going to love it!

- Jeremy

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback.

Not really trying to initiate a "best ROM" thread, just seeing if custom Roms are worth it.

On my nexus 7 I've found stock, elementalx kernel for OC, xposed, and the optimized patches worked best. Wasn't sure if this was also true for the nexus 5.

Looking forward to the phone!