Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 47,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 permanently slower after overclock??

Tip us?

Fandrold
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 permanently slower after overclock??

I'm pretty new to Android. I got my N5 2 months ago and rooted it as soon as I took it out of the box to get rid of the navigation bar. Didnt install any ROM or kernal.

What I did today was try to overclock it. I wanted to test the performance upgrade with Geekbench 3.

I got 2500. Tried to overclock with this app called: No-frills CPU control. And suddenly I get no higher than 2000...... Tried everything. I'm stuck at a multi core score of 2000 in geekbench while it should be 2500>.

WTF DO I DO? My device is noticeably slower, it's like a GS4 D: I'd rather not install any kernals/Roms

I set the minimum CPU frequency to 300Mhz and max to 2.266Ghz
Hammer_Of_The_Gods Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 14th April 2014 at 02:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

Thermal throttling..., overclocking produces more heat than the stock CPU freq so more thermal throttling. To prevent any damage, the CPU freq decreases according to the CPU temperature...

Let cool down your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fandrold
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer_Of_The_Gods View Post
Hi,

Thermal throttling..., overclocking produces more heat than the stock CPU freq so more thermal throttling. To prevent any damage, the CPU freq decreases according to the CPU temperature...

Sure, I'll turn it off for a while.

Just to make sure: the standard CPU frequencies are 300Mhz MIN and 2.266Ghz MAX, right?
Hammer_Of_The_Gods Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 14th April 2014 at 03:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandrold View Post
Sure, I'll turn it off for a while.

Just to make sure: the standard CPU frequencies are 300Mhz MIN and 2.266Ghz MAX, right?
Yes, that's right 300 Mhz-2,26 Ghz.

Not necessary to turn your phone OFF , when it boots it's a process that causes "heat" at the beginning then you will need to let it cool down again. EDIT: oups, you mean the thermal throttling OFF maybe?

Don't touch it for a while, airplane mode can help. If you are in a "hot" country/weather, air cooling, fridge...

We speak about this here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...2506965/page42.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fandrold
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer_Of_The_Gods View Post
Hi,

I've let it cool down and I got my old performance back . Never knew the solution would be so simple. Thanks.