Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 50,942 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] nexus 5 ram consumption and process stats

Tip us?

anapr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] nexus 5 ram consumption and process stats

I got my nexus 5 for almost 2 weeks now and I am still thinking why does my nexus consumes a lot of memory, most of the apps that I have are social apps and a few photography apps but it consumes almost 1.5 gb of my ram and when I look at the process stats it shows that there was a time that my memory went to a super low status ( correct me if I am wrong about this one) please see my attached photos from my nexus 5. My nexus 5 is still on its stock rom and not rooted yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.PNG
Views:	96
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2748655   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.PNG
Views:	97
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	2748656  

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10653
This is precisely what memory is for. Memory stores the processes and services you use regularly to allow them to be retrieved quickly when you need them. It's very normal to have over 1.5 used. It's lower when you reboot as those processes haven't run yet buy as soon as they do, they'll fill memory.

When you're memory is close to "full", Android starts killing the processes to maintain optimum levels.

If your memory is empty , it's useless. There's nothing wrong here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anapr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for the explanation that gave me a clearer understanding about the android's ram.

badboy47
Old
(Last edited by badboy47; 17th May 2014 at 06:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 739

DONATE TO ME
Yep my nexus 4 is the opposite. The memory never goes above 1gb. As soon it starting reaching 1gb; it starts killing processes. I am happy nexus 5 uses it all the way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk