Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,683 Members 51,231 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 RAM issues??

Tip us?

IRX120
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 642
Default Nexus 5 RAM issues??

I got my n5 a month and a half ago, and have noticed that it almost always has to reload the launcher, and when I play any high memory games (asphalt, gangstar ect.) My music app is killed. I'm surprise by this as my nexus 4 never had these issues. I also only have 400-500mg avalible ram sometimes less, and on my nexus 4, I usually had 1-1.2gb

I'm curious as to what the best solutions for this are? I have used a few kernels (elementalX, faux, Franco) and all have had problems keeping apps in memory.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked before.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

beaver2233
Old
Thanks Meter 480
No such problems here.

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRX120 View Post
I got my n5 a month and a half ago, and have noticed that it almost always has to reload the launcher, and when I play any high memory games (asphalt, gangstar ect.) My music app is killed. I'm surprise by this as my nexus 4 never had these issues. I also only have 400-500mg avalible ram sometimes less, and on my nexus 4, I usually had 1-1.2gb

I'm curious as to what the best solutions for this are? I have used a few kernels (elementalX, faux, Franco) and all have had problems keeping apps in memory.

Do you have any app that can change Rom/kernel settings Like faux clock, Rom toolbox, trickster mod.. etc?
The workaround for your memory issue is lowering the values on OOM settings. Any of those apps can edit those values.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,156
Quote:

its sounds like its something on your end that might be eating your ram. btw, have you checked how much ram you have left at any point? if so, whats the number? are you using any flashable mods? do you have lots of activity enabled? this might be the first time ive read of a nexus 5 with ram issues! or maybe its not? in the phones main settings, developer options, do you have it selected to kill apps after a few are opened?
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

IRX120
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 642
Just as an FYI, I reflashed the stock ROM, then flashed elementalX Kernel again and my ram use seems better, I just still have the issue when playing gangstar 4 or asphalt 8 where if I close the app (go to home screen) and go back into the app it has to reload.

Elisha
Old
Thanks Meter 426
Why don't you stick with the stock kernel?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Gipjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Just as an FYI, I reflashed the stock ROM, then flashed elementalX Kernel again and my ram use seems better, I just still have the issue when playing gangstar 4 or asphalt 8 where if I close the app (go to home screen) and go back into the app it has to reload.

I wouldn't really worry about RAM, post 4.4 Ram really ins't a problem. It is most likely a placebo if you see a degradation in performance .If you are really worried about RAM check your RAM usage in apps and maybe post some screen shots if anything is out of the normal.
Black LG Nexus 5 16 GB : Vanir Aosp, Linaro Kernel undervolted to 700, Updated Aderno drivers, and Jinshu camera

Shrek is love, Shrek is life