FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 5 sometimes refuses to charge

464 posts
Thanks Meter: 102

By kaspar737, Senior Member on 13th September 2014, 03:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So my Nexus 5 sometimes won't charge. For example, I plug it in at 5%, and after an hour, it is still at 5% or lower ,often even at 0%, so when I unplug it, it instantly turns off. Sometimes it charges fine to something like 20%, then it stops and battery slowly starts to discharge. There are days when it's perfect, absolutely no trouble. I should also mention that when it charges normally, the charger plug is warm-hot, when it doesn't charge, it's cold.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

13th September 2014, 04:23 PM |#2  
Senior Moderator - Force Choking Trolls Since 2015
Flag The Dark Side
Thanks Meter: 15,067

More
It's hardware. Either the cable, the charger, or the phones mini USB port.

Try a different charger and cable for starters.
14th September 2014, 12:20 AM |#3  
Flag San Salvador
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar737

So my Nexus 5 sometimes won't charge. For example, I plug it in at 5%, and after an hour, it is still at 5% or lower ,often even at 0%, so when I unplug it, it instantly turns off. Sometimes it charges fine to something like 20%, then it stops and battery slowly starts to discharge. There are days when it's perfect, absolutely no trouble. I should also mention that when it charges normally, the charger plug is warm-hot, when it doesn't charge, it's cold.

Its the hardware, maybe the battery or something and its also happening to LG G2 (N5 brother), so LG's faults.

But Google posted oficcially some ways to fix it, you only need to power off the phone and plug it. Wait 30 minutes and then turn it on again, leave it charging and this time probably works.

It doesn't happen to often, but when it does, its really annoying.
14th September 2014, 07:00 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,032

More
I remember having this issue but only with wireless charging. Seems like an issue with the wire.
14th September 2014, 08:48 AM |#5  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I had this issue with my Galaxy Note. It was actually a faulty chip on the motherboard that was causing my charging problems... None the less, I would first check your cable and then the micro USB port.
14th September 2014, 11:31 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
I have 3 chargers and 2 USB cables, tried all the possible combinations, nothing. What should I look for about the USB port?

14th September 2014, 02:40 PM |#7  
Flag The Dark Side

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar737

I have 3 chargers and 2 USB cables, tried all the possible combinations, nothing. What should I look for about the USB port?

My 5 year old daughters Galaxy tab 3 is the same. I can tell the plastic part of the mini USB port is snapped. So only the wires are holding it together. It will charge... But only when it's laying on a stable surface, untouched and sometimes I have to wiggle it til it's charging, then leave it alone til it's done.
14th September 2014, 03:16 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Does it say it's charging? For me, even if it isn't charging but is plugged in, it says "Charging (AC)".

14th September 2014, 03:18 PM |#9  
Flag The Dark Side

More
Yeah, our tab makes the plug in noise over and over til it's good.

But just cause it says it's charging doesn't mean every pin is making proper contact with the charger or device.
18th September 2014, 05:51 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
I cleaned the phone's USB port with a toothpick and compressed air and so far, it's working all right again.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaspar737 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kaspar737 Ad-Free
22nd September 2014, 03:54 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Oh well, it's doing that again. Charged 80% in 7 hours. Cleaning USB port didn't help.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)