Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,675 Members 46,669 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 screen query

Tip us?

rmbrown09
Old
(Last edited by rmbrown09; 2nd March 2014 at 10:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 5 screen query

I have a pretty simple question that I wanted to ask some of the longer term Nexus 5 users. I just picked up my black one about 2 weeks ago and coming from the Nexus 4, I love it. One thing about the 4 that really bothered me at the end was the fact that all the oleophobic coating seemed to have come off. This basically translated to me always wanting to clean the screen. I have some OCD when it comes to finger prints on my screen too, this might be more of an issue for me than most. My Nexus 4 at the end looked like it had just been demoed all day at Best Buy after almost any use.

So far the 5 is doing well, seems to keep off the fingerprints and when I wipe the screen with my hand or shirt they disappear completely. I wonder though does this coating wear off too? I know this is Gorilla Glass 3 instead of 2, but I can't find any articles or information as far as fingerprint accumulation over time. Experiences?

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 256
I'm too lazy to find it for you but on the Corning GG website they have a white paper on exactly this subject.

They're quite proud of the coating on GG3 and go through extensive testing, apparently rated for 20,000 lifetime wipes. The wipes they test with are denim material, simulating a rough wipe on clothing.

That being said some are claiming their coating is degrading already. Makes me think they must be using cleaning chemicals. Corning says to only use a dry cloth or some water only, which won't ever disinfect the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10004
Yeah I've seen those claims too. Maybe they're playing some sort of winter Olympic curling game or perhaps air hockey

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.