Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 53,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 Simple Mobile 4G + Mobile Network Indicator

Tip us?

MkJackson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 5 Simple Mobile 4G + Mobile Network Indicator

So I broke my N4 and got myself a N5. I thought to myself, "now I can finally take advantage of those 4G LTE speeds that I've been paying for!"

However, I only see the "H" indicator over my mobile networks though Simple mobile insists that they support 4G in my area. Am I missing something? Should I switch to another carrier? I'm I wrong for expecting to see a "4G" or "LTE" indicator in my mobile network strength indicator?

:-/

dziliak
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkJackson View Post
So I broke my N4 and got myself a N5. I thought to myself, "now I can finally take advantage of those 4G LTE speeds that I've been paying for!"

However, I only see the "H" indicator over my mobile networks though Simple mobile insists that they support 4G in my area. Am I missing something? Should I switch to another carrier? I'm I wrong for expecting to see a "4G" or "LTE" indicator in my mobile network strength indicator?

:-/
Check your setting to make sure that LTE is the preferred network type.
Go Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Preferred network type and make sure it says 'LTE (recommended)'.

If it does, then if you have no LTE, I'd blame the carrier.
Either they have LTE coverage but it's weak where you're at and you're falling back to HSPA+, or they don't and are calling HSPA+ (the H icon) '4G'

Did they say 4G or 4G LTE?

Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile's network and T-Mob defines HSPA+ as '4G'
If they didn't specify LTE, they only have HSPA+ in your area, hence the H icon.

If they insist LTE is available, try another carrier.