FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

[Q] AT&T switch to T-Mobile service?

626 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By nextelbuddy, Senior Member on 30th May 2014, 12:51 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been using my nexus 5 on ATT since the Nexus 5 debuted. I just switched over to Tmobile for the $80 unlimited plan. I feel like I made a mistake. Since the switch, service has been less than stellar, I get maybe 3 bars of LTE in most places and even on the main interstate its still a bit dodgy.

the main gripe is that I now cant even go a day on a single charge with my nexus 5, when I was on ATT I could go almost 2 days with my GPS, wifi, Data all enabled and all apps greenified.

and Yes I did check the coverage map and every area I am in has full LTE coverage per their map. frommy Home, my route form home to work and even my work. all LTE yet i still only get a few bars and constant switching back and forth between 3G, HSPA and LTE. Many times my phone wont make it back to LTE from HSPA, I have to use airplane mode to toggle it back. when I was on ATT i had none of these problems.

I was wondering if anyone else in here has made the switch from AT&T to TMobile and how was their experience with service and battery life?

30th May 2014, 02:05 AM |#2  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 65

More
This is totally subjective. Completely depends on where you live and work and what the tmo signals are like vs att

sent from my hammerhead
30th May 2014, 02:10 AM |#3  
Flag Columbia, MO
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I switched to T-Mobile back in the Beginning of April with a Galaxy S4 international. The 3G coverage sucked., and that model could not do LTE. Before May I ended up buying a Nexus. The default Google Kitkat ROM had kinda sucky battery from what I remember, but I only had it for a day. I switched to Cyanogenmod and have much better battery life. Depending on what I do on the phone, I can end up with 30-80% battery left. There is a bunch of variables to my usage such just checking emails to playing games and listening to music on the phone and playing Pandora or Stitcher in the car.. And I use a Live wallpaper.

LTE coverage is fair but not great, but I am saving over $25 a month.
2nd June 2014, 04:29 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldubs

This is totally subjective. Completely depends on where you live and work and what the tmo signals are like vs att

sent from my hammerhead

Where I live, the AT&T and Tmobile LTE coverage maps are virtually identical and I notice no difference in LTE signal strength just going by the bars in the phone screen.

even at home, i always only got 1 bar ot LTE with AT&T and its the same with Tmobile.. only 1 bar of LTE.

my battery drain stinks with Tmobile service on my nexus 5. i put in my wifes ATT SIM and tried it out for a day and battery life was much better with no other changes. so I know its the tmobile service thats doing it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread