Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,591 Members 36,381 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 on Ting

Tip us?

YoungGun821
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Nexus 5 on Ting

Has anyone successfully activated their Nexus 5 on the Ting network recently? Do I still need a Sprint SIM card?
I ordered mine and Google says will ship March 7th..
LG Spectrum
Samsung Captivate

Slade412
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I activated my N5 on Ting about 3 weeks ago. They make it very easy. You do need a Sprint Sim card which you can either get from:

1) Ting for $10, (Ships on the 28th)
2) Bestbuy for $30 (most stores have them in stock, this is the easiest way to get one if you're impatient)
3) Ask around at Sprint stores and see if a manager will give you one. This works for some, but it didn't work for me.

I was too eager to wait for Ting to get more in stock, so I overpaid at Bestbuy. Once you have the SIM it's easy to activate. Check out this chicks blog if you have any questions. She was very thorough.

https://calomel.org/ting_nexus_5.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Slade412 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GBP85
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun821 View Post
Has anyone successfully activated their Nexus 5 on the Ting network recently? Do I still need a Sprint SIM card?
I ordered mine and Google says will ship March 7th..
It works without incident on the stock ROM. There are some custom ROMS where LTE will not work. Sadly, OMNI is one of those ROMS where LTE won't work. I know LTE works on SlimKat
The Following User Says Thank You to GBP85 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zx92027xz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP85 View Post
It works without incident on the stock ROM. There are some custom ROMS where LTE will not work. Sadly, OMNI is one of those ROMS where LTE won't work. I know LTE works on SlimKat
Sorry to dredge up an old(ish) post, but is there a list of custom roms that LTE will and will not work on for Ting? I've been running the stock rom for the past little while, but only because I assumed that none of them would run LTE.

GBP85
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx92027xz View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old(ish) post, but is there a list of custom roms that LTE will and will not work on for Ting? I've been running the stock rom for the past little while, but only because I assumed that none of them would run LTE.
This list hasn't been updated since Novermber, but I decided to go back to stock and am using Xposed Frameworks and Gravity Box, with Faux Kernal and I have a great phone.

Enjoy