[Q] Nexus 5 USB Audio Out?

Search This thread

PearcePowers

Jan 4, 2011
Can anyone confirm that the Nexus 5 will support (out-of-the-box) digital audio out using a USB OTG cable? I'd like to connect the N5 to a DAC. I've seen it mentioned that KitKat will support this, but haven't actually heard first-hand accounts that it works, specifically with the N5.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PearcePowers

Jan 4, 2011
I guess I'm the only one interested in connecting my phone to an external DAC. I ordered the N5 anyway and will test it out as soon as I receive it. I'll post back my results as soon as that happens.

pappy97

Dec 5, 2012
I guess I'm the only one interested in connecting my phone to an external DAC. I ordered the N5 anyway and will test it out as soon as I receive it. I'll post back my results as soon as that happens.

I just saw this thread and I care deeply about this. First thing I did when I turned on my Nexus 5 today (after installing the required update, of course) was try my USB DACs, the hifimediy sabre and Fiio E07k.

Neither worked. When you plug them in, and have your headphones connected to the DAC, you hear a click. But then you go to play music, and the music comes out of the phone's speakers. I even tried putting the phone into debugging mode. No dice.

Did not try the USB Audio Recorder Pro App because I have no desire to use that clunky app, I simply want to easily use my USB DAC via OTG with my new Nexus 5 and after that leak a month ago from the Android 4.4 dump, my hopes got up. They have been dashed now.

jeffs471

Oct 16, 2010
hey guys,

Just plugged my E17 in and no go in google music. I'm assuming this means no 24 bit support in kit kat.

PearcePowers

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks everyone. Unfortunate news. No USB audio and no aptX -- the N5 is not an audio lovers device!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Nyanman

Nov 6, 2013
hey guys,

Just plugged my E17 in and no go in google music. I'm assuming this means no 24 bit support in kit kat.

Hi, if it's not to much of a hassle, can you try the e17 with usb recorder pro trial? i have an e17 and a nexus 5 but no otg cable. The suspense is killing me :crying::confused:

PearcePowers

Jan 4, 2011
To further confirm -- received my N5 yesterday. Hooked it up to my Audio-GD Compass DAC via USB OTG cable, and no dice. Phone detects nothing, and the music continues to play out of the horribly tiny built-in speaker. There's got to be some way to get a decent digital (or even line out?) signal from this phone??

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
Hi, if it's not to much of a hassle, can you try the e17 with usb recorder pro trial? i have an e17 and a nexus 5 but no otg cable. The suspense is killing me :crying::confused:

It works with the paid version of USB audio recorder pro

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

scescy

Dec 8, 2012
My n5 works fine with my fiio e7 only with USB audio recorder.
I will ask to kernel devs if it is possible add usb audio support into mod kernels.

Bye.

Stefano.

pr0phet

Dec 6, 2006
Just wanted to bump this thread as I'm also very interested in getting my Nexus 5 to work with a USB DAC without the ridiculously designed UARP app.

shiznu

Feb 20, 2012
FWIW I asked Faux and he said USB otg should be enabled by default on the N5. Are any of you powering the DAC with anything?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PearcePowers

Jan 4, 2011
FWIW I asked Faux and he said USB otg should be enabled by default on the N5. Are any of you powering the DAC with anything?

While USB OTG may be enabled by default (for mass storage use, etc.), there is no audio signal being output from the N5 when using a USB OTG cable. I'm using an externally powered DAC, fwiw.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah caught that the first time. The original conversation was out of the box.

Its never going to work out of the box. I highly doubt google will add this to the stock rom. But someone could build the AOSP rom from source and cherry pick this in.
    Just installed cm11. Audio playing out of my hifimediy sabre tiny DAC. Only major issue is there's no volume control so its either on or off. Never used an external DAC on a phone before so don't know if this is normal behavior or not but will be going back for now. Shame cause i was really digging the sound quality. A few other bugs I found like restarting with DAC plugged in resulted in no sound at all and unplugging it resulted in no sound once as well.
    Also tried stock with Franco r12 and r14 no go either.

I'm trying to use a Fiio E7k with Franco kernel and Cataclysm rom with no luck. Do I need to be running CM11?

Just switch to a CM11 rom (with the CM kernel it has with it, not some other kernel). The Franco Kernel on the Nexus 5 does NOT have the USB Audio fix, despite an earlier posting in this thread. I'm rocking a CM11 rom (Euroskank's to be exact, but any of the CM11 Roms that use the CM kernel should work) and USB Audio works just fine, SUBJECT to the caveats above (that if I unplug my dac and then plug it in later, doesn't work, need to reboot to use it again).
    As of 12/12 build of CM11, the issue that USB Audio doesn't work after unplugging your DAC and then plugging it back in has been fixed by CM founder Steve Kondik. You now don't need to reboot if you unplug your DAC and then plug it back in later!
    @ramjet73,
    Where have you been at lately? Glad to see you poking around again and it looks like you picked up a Nexus-5 as well? Hope to see more of you around.
    Mike