[Q] Nexus 5 fully wiped (system, data...), bootloader Locked

Tip us?

Yoyo-san
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 5 fully wiped (system, data...), bootloader Locked

Dear all,

I am new on Android, the Nexus 5 is my first android device. I freshly come from a 5 years old iPhone 3G.
2 Weeks ago I unlocked the bootloader of my device and rooted it following the tutorials provided by the XDA community without any problem.

Today, I saw that the OTA to upgrade from the Android version 4.4 to the version 4.4.2 was available directly from the device.

Since I did not want this update to be a problem with my rooted device, I downloaded the following apps: BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices and OTA RootKeeper (I do realize using RootKeeper was stupid since anyway the last update was released on July 25, 3 months before KitKat...). But anyway, this is what I did. I used those apps to Lock my Bootloader and unRoot my phone, thinking that this will reduce the chances of potential conflict with the OTA update.

Afterward, I downloaded and tried to instal the OTA directly from the Nexus 5. It ends up that I got stuck on the recovery menu. It was then impossible to get back on android and I did not know what to do.

This is where I did something totally crazy. Usually I spend time reading tutorials and finding information before doing anything that I do not fully understand. But at this stage I simply thought that the update could not properly instal due to the root. So I went on Advanced Wipe, I ticked all the options (data, system, Cash, Dalvik... all of them), and wiped the device.

As a result, my Nexus 5 has currently a Locked Bootloader and no OS installed. This means that I cannot activate the developer menu (no OS) to tick the option USB debugging. Thus, I cannot unlock my bootloader and in consequence I cannot instal the factory image and get back to stock.

Please, If you can give me some advice, explain me how can I unlock the bootloader in these conditions. Let me know... I really don't know what to do now.

PS: sorry my english is not perfect but I do hope you clearly understand my problem.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo-san View Post
Dear all,

I am new on Android, the Nexus 5 is my first android device. I freshly come from a 5 years old iPhone 3G.
2 Weeks ago I unlocked the bootloader of my device and rooted it following the tutorials provided by the XDA community without any problem.

Today, I saw that the OTA to upgrade from the Android version 4.4 to the version 4.4.2 was available directly from the device.

Since I did not want this update to be a problem with my rooted device, I downloaded the following apps: BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices and OTA RootKeeper (I do realize using RootKeeper was stupid since anyway the last update was released on July 25, 3 months before KitKat...). But anyway, this is what I did. I used those apps to Lock my Bootloader and unRoot my phone, thinking that this will reduce the chances of potential conflict with the OTA update.

Afterward, I downloaded and tried to instal the OTA directly from the Nexus 5. It ends up that I got stuck on the recovery menu. It was then impossible to get back on android and I did not know what to do.

This is where I did something totally crazy. Usually I spend time reading tutorials and finding information before doing anything that I do not fully understand. But at this stage I simply thought that the update could not properly instal due to the root. So I went on Advanced Wipe, I ticked all the options (data, system, Cash, Dalvik... all of them), and wiped the device.

As a result, my Nexus 5 has currently a Locked Bootloader and no OS installed. This means that I cannot activate the developer menu (no OS) to tick the option USB debugging. Thus, I cannot unlock my bootloader and in consequence I cannot instal the factory image and get back to stock.

Please, If you can give me some advice, explain me how can I unlock the bootloader in these conditions. Let me know... I really don't know what to do now.

PS: sorry my english is not perfect but I do hope you clearly understand my problem.
You've got it all wrong. You do not need USB debugging to unlock bootloader. to unlock bootloader you must use FASTBOOT commands, which means you MUST be in the bootloader itself. USB debugging ONLY works in android.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yoyo-san
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
You've got it all wrong. You do not need USB debugging to unlock bootloader. to unlock bootloader you must use FASTBOOT commands, which means you MUST be in the bootloader itself. USB debugging ONLY works in android.
Dear RootSU,

So this means that I am not stuck at all and that I am simply limited by my current knowledge about android?

If this is the case, then "alleluia"! I will document myself to be able to fix this thing.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7431
Quote:
So this means that I am not stuck at all and that I am simply limited by my current knowledge about android?
Pretty much

You should be able to unlock the bootloader as you did before.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

biggreen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Boot phone to fastboot mode, download fastboot and adb kit to you computer... it can be found here on forums easy, and in comand line to unlock bootloader you need type "fastboot oem unlock".
More complete guide you can find here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2507905 =)

Yoyo-san
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Pretty much

You should be able to unlock the bootloader as you did before.
It's ok now!
As you said, I could unlock the Bootloader the same way I did before. Then I install the factory image 4.4.2, which I rooted directly.

Thanks a lot RootSu, you've shown me my mistakes and put me on the way to fix my problem.

Thanks also for your concern Biggreen. =)

Problem solved!

Yoyo-san
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Dear RootSU,

One more question, could you explain me why I got stuck into the recovery menu when I first tried to update via the OTA? Will I get the same kind of problem when I'll update with the v4.4.3 in the future?

Thanks

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7431
Quote:
Dear RootSU,

One more question, could you explain me why I got stuck into the recovery menu when I first tried to update via the OTA? Will I get the same kind of problem when I'll update with the v4.4.3 in the future?

Thanks
I am not sure on the extact reason. OTA itself will not install with a custom recovery. You have to download the OTA and boot to recovery then manually flash.

There is a good "OTA Helpdesk" sticky thread in general you should read as theres lots of advice there

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]