FORUMS

[Q] Custom ROMs and their similarity

151 posts
Thanks Meter: 14
 
By agurudev, Senior Member on 18th June 2014, 05:52 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Does anyone else feel that most custom ROMs today look and feel 95% similar? I mean the only changes seems to be which module they are using for the tweaks and the boot animations though some are much more stable than the others.

I am Carbon and love the minimalist approach that it has taken and it is super smooth and stable.

From a ROM perspective, I find that there are two which are doing things differently -
1. PA ROM, they have gone away from the customization menu and allowed this to happen dynamically
2. MIUI - Completely different look and feel.

Are there others which are vastly different from the rest? Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks.
 
 
18th June 2014, 06:12 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Different... maybe the ones based on sense, touchwiz... but yeah, a lot of roms have the same things but with different form.
18th June 2014, 07:01 AM |#3  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,820
 
More
Pretty much along Slims features are original.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
18th June 2014, 10:42 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Pretty much along Slims features are original.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Can you please name a few Slim features that are unique? I need to try this if it is good.
18th June 2014, 10:58 AM |#5  
danarama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 18,820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev

Can you please name a few Slim features that are unique? I need to try this if it is good.

http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/slim-bean-features
18th June 2014, 10:58 AM |#6  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev

Can you please name a few Slim features that are unique? I need to try this if it is good.

He said original, not unique. Other ROMs might have taken some features but it was original to that ROM. Hardly any features would be "unique" as its likely another will take the commits and implement it into their own ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to Elluel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2014, 11:06 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

He said original, not unique. Other ROMs might have taken some features but it was original to that ROM. Hardly any features would be "unique" as its likely another will take the commits and implement it into their own ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Got it and you are absolutely right, most of these are in Carbon which I am on. I was wondering if there were any unique Custom ROMs. I listed 2 on my OP, looking for any more.
18th June 2014, 11:08 AM |#8  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev

Got it and you are absolutely right, most of these are in Carbon which I am on. I was wondering if there were any unique Custom ROMs. I listed 2 on my OP, looking for any more.

Well.. MIUI is more of just a skin :/

Sent from my Nexus 5
18th June 2014, 11:41 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Well.. MIUI is more of just a skin :/

Sent from my Nexus 5

Didnt know that, thanks for the info. I thought it was different grounds up as I could not find Root, App drawer, etc. So is there any ROM that is different? How about the beta version of Ubuntu thats out now?
18th June 2014, 11:43 AM |#10  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev

Didnt know that, thanks for the info. I thought it was different grounds up as I could not find Root, App drawer, etc. So is there any ROM that is different? How about the beta version of Ubuntu thats out now?

That's more like an entire new OS compared to an Android custom ROM.

Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS.

Sent from my Nexus 5
18th June 2014, 01:20 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

That's more like an entire new OS compared to an Android custom ROM.

Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Do we have Sailfish for our hardware?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes