FORUMS

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

New Snapdragons: Some Context & Contrast

It hasn’t been a good year for Qualcomm so far. Every device featuring the Snapdragon 810 … more

Google To Launch Next Gen Android One On July 14

The first gen of Android One devices to be launched in India in September 2014 were … more

Nexus 5 wont boot

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By spasypaddy, Junior Member on 5th August 2014, 09:21 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Last night, my nexus 5 suddenly rebooted itself. When it restarted it was in a boot loop. but not a boot loop that i can get out of.

It just keeps going round and round almost as if the power button is stuck. however the power button is not stuck.

i cant get into recovery to clear the cache as when i boot into the bootloader it just automatically restarts again, i can move one option up or down and that is to shut down or reboot into bootloader, but not the second move that would take me to recovery.

i have now taken the back off, and unplugged the battery in the vain hope that it clears through whatever is causing the issue but im not convinced it will make any difference.

Please advise. i'm completely housebound and cannot walk due to having a knee operation, and completely dependent on my mobile if i have an emergency.

i've tried Kwoggers out of the box fix from his 2.1.2 toolkit but this didnt work as the phone wont stay in one place long enough for it to get a fix.
 
 
5th August 2014, 10:18 AM |#2  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasypaddy

Last night, my nexus 5 suddenly rebooted itself. When it restarted it was in a boot loop. but not a boot loop that i can get out of.

It just keeps going round and round almost as if the power button is stuck. however the power button is not stuck.

i cant get into recovery to clear the cache as when i boot into the bootloader it just automatically restarts again, i can move one option up or down and that is to shut down or reboot into bootloader, but not the second move that would take me to recovery.

i have now taken the back off, and unplugged the battery in the vain hope that it clears through whatever is causing the issue but im not convinced it will make any difference.

Please advise. i'm completely housebound and cannot walk due to having a knee operation, and completely dependent on my mobile if i have an emergency.

i've tried Kwoggers out of the box fix from his 2.1.2 toolkit but this didnt work as the phone wont stay in one place long enough for it to get a fix.

If it reboots, even in bootloader, then it's either a broken power button or a broken motherboard.
5th August 2014, 10:22 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

If it reboots, even in bootloader, then it's either a broken power button or a broken motherboard.

thanks for replying, but why would this happen all of a sudden?

the phone was on, it hadn't been rebooted for a few days. It hadn't been dropped. but suddenly it went into a boot loop.
5th August 2014, 10:25 AM |#4  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasypaddy

thanks for replying, but why would this happen all of a sudden?

the phone was on, it hadn't been rebooted for a few days. It hadn't been dropped. but suddenly it went into a boot loop.

Not exactly sure, it's happened to a couple of people. Another reason could be a defective battery. What happens if you plug in the charger and attempt to boot?
5th August 2014, 10:31 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Not exactly sure, it's happened to a couple of people. Another reason could be a defective battery. What happens if you plug in the charger and attempt to boot?

same. just boot loops.

the reason i dont think its the power button is it just stops doing it and just switches off.

when its plugged in it just reboots around the white google logo, constantly. without being plugged in it goes to the 4 balls and reoots
Last edited by spasypaddy; 5th August 2014 at 10:35 AM.
5th August 2014, 10:32 AM |#6  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasypaddy

same. just boot loops.

sometimes it gets to the 4 balls converging, sometimes it just reboots around the google logo.

Afraid there's not much you can do other than RMA, then.
5th August 2014, 10:49 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Afraid there's not much you can do other than RMA, then.

thanks, i just rang google and they are sending me some troubleshooting via email and then it will get replaced.

will google mind that ive opened the back up?
5th August 2014, 10:50 AM |#8  
Elluel's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasypaddy

thanks, i just rang google and they are sending me some troubleshooting via email and then it will get replaced.

will google mind that ive opened the back up?

I'm not sure, I think it voids the warranty :/
5th August 2014, 10:59 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
hmm

i'll just have to risk it if their troubleshooting doesnt work
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes