FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How do you make voice calls without carrier service

680 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By kyleds, Senior Member on 8th January 2014, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey guys, asking pretty much what's in heading. Can I use a phone simply on wifi , without a Sim and make phone calls?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

8th January 2014, 02:54 AM |#2  
Flag Carlsbad, Ca
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Take your sim out and try it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
8th January 2014, 03:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
No

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
8th January 2014, 03:21 AM |#4  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 34

More
You can use Google voice with groove IP.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...blabs.grooveip

I recommend the paid version.

The Following User Says Thank You to trebills For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift trebills Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 03:28 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 223

More
there are many apps that use wifi...
Skype is one...

8th January 2014, 03:30 AM |#6  
Flag Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 236

More
I also use groove IP with a Google voice number when I travel to another country.

8th January 2014, 04:26 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Vontage
I use the Vontage app. It doesn't use any of your minutes (I'm on the 100 minute 5GB T-Mobile plan) and its free. Additionally, it uses your mobile number on the caller ID (out-going calls only). This means that when you call your mom, girlfriend, etc. they will answer because the number is recognized as being yours. Give it a shot.
9th January 2014, 05:03 PM |#8  
Flag Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 236

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggillie

I use the Vontage app. It doesn't use any of your minutes (I'm on the 100 minute 5GB T-Mobile plan) and its free. Additionally, it uses your mobile number on the caller ID (out-going calls only). This means that when you call your mom, girlfriend, etc. they will answer because the number is recognized as being yours. Give it a shot.

you mean Vonage?
10th January 2014, 01:30 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,038

Donate to Me
More
I use text plus with a different number as a back up and talkatone with Google voice.

10th January 2014, 08:08 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 223

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuMMoD

I use text plus with a different number as a back up and talkatone with Google voice.

So you have 3 numbers? lol.. 1 for text plus, 1 for GV and your reg cell plan...

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggillie

Vonage works like skype?? you need to buy credits to beable to make calls unless its to another vonage user??
10th January 2014, 01:34 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob

So you have 3 numbers? lol.. 1 for text plus, 1 for GV and your reg cell plan...

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Vonage works like skype?? you need to buy credits to beable to make calls unless its to another vonage user??

You do not need to buy credits to make outgoing calls (at least with my setup). I still have carrier service so when I first setup my Vonage app, they verified my mobile number by first sending a text message with a verification code. After entering the code, I can call anyone in my contact list and my mobile number will display on their caller ID. No credits or charges.

I imagine that without carrier service, you may be limited to only calling other Vonage users (like skype), but you would have to see for yourself as I still have carrier service.

I tried Google Voice with Groove-IP, Talkatone, Sip-Clients, and other imaginable setup. Ultimately, my family despised my shoddy/echo-y calls. I ended up porting my number away from Google Voice after 6 months. Then again, this was two years ago and at that time I was using a HTC Sensation, so your experience may be better than mine (especially with a Nexus 5).

Good luck!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)