[Q] Nexus Gorilla Glass 3 question

Tip us?

yomper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus Gorilla Glass 3 question

Hi Guys,

I just have a question about the GG3. Anyone had practical experience with it on the nexus 5 screen? How's the durability & damage resistant features (i.e. day-to-day accidental bumps & knocks on the screen; (except dropping it))?

Last night, while changing i hit my kneecap directly on my nexus 5 screen & heard an audible impact sound. Any idea if the GG3 can take such a one-time direct impact by my kneecap? or will it cause any stress/strain to the glass?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

b.spec
Old
Thanks Meter 46
An "audible impact sound".... =P

Anyways, I guess it depends how hard to kneed your phone although I'd say if there's no visible damage you're fine. If you're constantly kneeing your phone, on the other hand, then that might be different (obviously). "Strain/stress" to me is something that's occurring consistently over a period of time, and in this case you hit it once.

While lots of people prefer their phone as is, I'd suggest investing some money in a good quality screen protector. It would be well worth it to have that fail safe in the event you do accidentally hit the screen. But to each their own!

yomper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spec View Post
An "audible impact sound".... =P

Anyways, I guess it depends how hard to kneed your phone although I'd say if there's no visible damage you're fine. If you're constantly kneeing your phone, on the other hand, then that might be different (obviously). "Strain/stress" to me is something that's occurring consistently over a period of time, and in this case you hit it once.

While lots of people prefer their phone as is, I'd suggest investing some money in a good quality screen protector. It would be well worth it to have that fail safe in the event you do accidentally hit the screen. But to each their own!
I do use a screen protector currently & my knee did not strike it very hard, just an accidental knock. So I guess that my screen is safe & that the force of this one-time knee strike isn't sufficient to cause any damage/stress to the screen if the screen is perfect now?

b.spec
Old
Thanks Meter 46
I'd say if it's not visibly damaged and the sensitivity is the same as before, the screen should be fine. I'm not really sure if that would damage the phone internally though. Like getting hit in the stomach with a sack of potatoes. On the outside you might not be cut or scratched, but on the inside you'd feel like death haha. Okay, maybe that's a bad analogy. But you get the point.

yomper
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spec View Post
I'd say if it's not visibly damaged and the sensitivity is the same as before, the screen should be fine. I'm not really sure if that would damage the phone internally though. Like getting hit in the stomach with a sack of potatoes. On the outside you might not be cut or scratched, but on the inside you'd feel like death haha. Okay, maybe that's a bad analogy. But you get the point.
Hahaha, yea. I got your point. So if it's working perfectly fine ever since, there probably isn't any damage & I should not worry that much and just use normally right?

b.spec
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Yup, that's what I'd do anyways. Use it normally, but maybe for the next few days pay attention to the sensitivity or the screen or any other abnormalities. A bump from your knee isn't anything to worry about in my opinion. Just avoid any flying tornado kicks to the screen.