5,599,190 Members 35,468 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New Nexus phone, questions about migrating everything over.

Tip us?

Reaper_man
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] New Nexus phone, questions about migrating everything over.

So, I busted the digitizer on my old S3 so I decided to get a nice shiny Nexus 5, along with the daunting task of transferring all of my data from my old phone to the new phone.

So, the biggest question I have right now is how the hell do I get all of my SMS/MMS messages over? I mean, the S3 uses the old messaging app, but the Nexus uses hangouts for its messaging goodness. Is it actually possible to somehow transfer all my old messages to hangouts? If not, would it be possible to put the old messaging app on there and move everything over as an archive? Finally if neither of those are viable options is there a win32/64 program that can just read the messaging database?

Anyway, since I'm here, any recommendations for a better launcher? It seems as though the launcher that comes with it is a bit too well, barebones for my taste, not to mention completely unconfigurable (from what I've gathered). Also, any ROMs worth their salt? I mean other than the launcher, I'm pretty impressed with the stock ROM. It's ridiculously snappy/responsive, but I'm totally open to suggestions.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2257
Just use Google. It'll back up your apps and accounts

nightfishing
Old
Thanks Meter 7
If the old phone is still somewhat usable..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....smssync&hl=en

SMS Backup + works very well for backing up and restoring SMS.

Or you can install Handcent on the old phone, back the messages up and restore them on the new phone.

Everything else Google should handle (contacts, apps email etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to nightfishing For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ldubs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
You can also use titanium backup to backup and restore SMS and MMS. Works perfectly.

sent from my hammerhead

Insert witty, pithy, androidy statement here

Reaper_man
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfishing View Post
If the old phone is still somewhat usable..

SMS Backup + works very well for backing up and restoring SMS.

Or you can install Handcent on the old phone, back the messages up and restore them on the new phone.

Everything else Google should handle (contacts, apps email etc)
Handcent looks like something that will work. Thanks.

Okay, so there's also a picross game that I want to transfer the save data over. Would it be easier to grab the data file and plop it into the Nexus/ I just need to know where to find said file.

nightfishing
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_man View Post

Okay, so there's also a picross game that I want to transfer the save data over. Would it be easier to grab the data file and plop it into the Nexus/ I just need to know where to find said file.
If the game doesn't offer an export/import then your only shot is to poke around and look for the data file.

I use dropsync to back up any settings files to dropbox automatically whenever they are updated. Then if I swap devices I can resync them with the new phone. Handy for apps that don't natively support export/import.

jwhyte
Old
Thanks Meter 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_man View Post

Back up the game with tibu then stuck it in box or drop box or whatever download it and restore data only with tibu on your nexus. Worked for me with modern war.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk