Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

NFC Card Emulation

OP mcscruff

18th April 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 7

25 posts
More
Hmm bad news, from what I've read the nexus range of devices from the nexus 4 onwards use a broadcom nfc chip as apposed to earlier nexus devices using NXP's chips. The problem with that is the broadcom chips are unable to read mifare chips as it's a proprietary NXP technology. Considering most nfc cards use mifare technology this is pretty much a no go...
18th April 2014, 11:01 AM   |  #12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

67 posts
I think they can, again using the oyster as an example you can get an app that will read your card then send the info to the official site to give you your balance so it must be reading it correctly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
18th April 2014, 11:26 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 7

25 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscruff

I think they can, again using the oyster as an example you can get an app that will read your card then send the info to the official site to give you your balance so it must be reading it correctly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The way this works with the oyster card is the nexus 5 is able to read something called the UID of the card. This is unique to each oyster card and so with this information the app can match this UID to your oyster account. The problem we have is that this is literally the only information our nexus 5 can grab from it, Theres no way for it to read the encrypted information or write to the card itself. Another problem I've found is that even if we were able to magically emulate mifare cards, it probably wouldnt work because the host-based card emulation generates a new UID on every connection.

try installing this app and scanning your oyster card https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7d...it?usp=sharing
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread