Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,550 Members 51,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NFC Card Emulation

Tip us?

daniel.kusy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hmm bad news, from what I've read the nexus range of devices from the nexus 4 onwards use a broadcom nfc chip as apposed to earlier nexus devices using NXP's chips. The problem with that is the broadcom chips are unable to read mifare chips as it's a proprietary NXP technology. Considering most nfc cards use mifare technology this is pretty much a no go...

mcscruff
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
I think they can, again using the oyster as an example you can get an app that will read your card then send the info to the official site to give you your balance so it must be reading it correctly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

daniel.kusy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscruff View Post
I think they can, again using the oyster as an example you can get an app that will read your card then send the info to the official site to give you your balance so it must be reading it correctly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The way this works with the oyster card is the nexus 5 is able to read something called the UID of the card. This is unique to each oyster card and so with this information the app can match this UID to your oyster account. The problem we have is that this is literally the only information our nexus 5 can grab from it, Theres no way for it to read the encrypted information or write to the card itself. Another problem I've found is that even if we were able to magically emulate mifare cards, it probably wouldnt work because the host-based card emulation generates a new UID on every connection.

try installing this app and scanning your oyster card https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7d...it?usp=sharing